• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a gun on deployment and bringing it home

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone have any experience with this? I bought a shotgun while on the Big E back in 2011 but I didn't set it up so I don't know how to go about getting it started.

Where I'm at right now I have access to cheap weapons and the good idea fairy thinks buying them and bringing them home is, well, a good idea. Seeing as how I'm with a small group of guys I will be the one setting up any buys so I need to make sure I have all the legal ducks in a row.

I've emailed an ATF field office but if anyone has any gouge to get me started I'd appreciate it.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Buying weapons for yourself local laws/regulations will most likely apply, I would advise against making purchases for others even with an FFL, That's a real easy path to get yourself in a jam.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Buying weapons for yourself local laws/regulations will most likely apply, I would advise against making purchases for others even with an FFL, That's a real easy path to get yourself in a jam.

Not what I'm asking.

On the Enterprise one of the warrant gunners worked all the appropriate ATF paperwork for about 1,000 dudes who bought shotguns in Turkey. He was not an FFL holder. He just coordinated all the ATF paperwork required for folks to buy it overseas and bring it directly home without all the import tax, etc. I ended up saving about $450 over the US store price. I'm trying to figure out where/who to start with to get that ball rolling here.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Just telling you my gut instinct, It looks like a big gray area with problems written on it.
Of course I live in a not particularly gun friendly state. Have you asked any of your Legal-Beagles about it?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't remember any of the details, but when I was deployed to Turkey, brining back shotguns was pretty routine, so my presumption is that it probably isn't that hard. I'd say your first move with BATF is the correct one.

BigRed389

None
I had to deal with the aftermath of people who did NOT consult ATF...and those weapons were confiscated and supposedly destroyed (because they were not legal to import-semi auto shotgun with too high a magazine capacity). Until ATF could show up to take it, they sat in the armory for over a year.

IIRC, on the homeport side, you just need to have the forms in and approved prior to importing the weapons (ie taking personal custody of them back from the armory).

A7Dave

pilot
Anyone have any experience with this? I bought a shotgun while on the Big E back in 2011 but I didn't set it up so I don't know how to go about getting it started.

Where I'm at right now I have access to cheap weapons and the good idea fairy thinks buying them and bringing them home is, well, a good idea. Seeing as how I'm with a small group of guys I will be the one setting up any buys so I need to make sure I have all the legal ducks in a row.

I've emailed an ATF field office but if anyone has any gouge to get me started I'd appreciate it.

Are you talking about buying guns in the States or overseas? Overseas is much, much more complicated. In the US, if handguns, the point of sale FFL will have to ship to your home FFL. Long guns, may vary by state.