• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a car before OCS vs. after

Jstalz

A few months ago, my old Jeep gave out. I haven't needed to get a new car since I live in nyc and I can do without one before OCS. However, it would be helpful to have a car in the months before I leave for OCS and I've heard on here that having a car while at OCS can be a godsend. That being said, I kind of want to buy a new car before OCS so that I can use it to get to Newport and keep it there. Plus, I feel like I might be pressed for time if I wait until after I commission to buy, since I figure I'll already be busy enough moving to Pensacola. What do you guys think? Are there good military discounts and benefits that make it worthwhile to hold off on the car purchase until after OCS? Will I have time to car shop between OCS and NIFE? Any recs on what I should buy?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
A few months ago, my old Jeep gave out. I haven't needed to get a new car since I live in nyc and I can do without one before OCS. However, it would be helpful to have a car in the months before I leave for OCS and I've heard on here that having a car while at OCS can be a godsend. That being said, I kind of want to buy a new car before OCS so that I can use it to get to Newport and keep it there. Plus, I feel like I might be pressed for time if I wait until after I commission to buy, since I figure I'll already be busy enough moving to Pensacola. What do you guys think? Are there good military discounts and benefits that make it worthwhile to hold off on the car purchase until after OCS? Will I have time to car shop between OCS and NIFE? Any recs on what I should buy?

Just get one after OCS but before you get to Pensacola. No need to over think this.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You have two choices shipmate, choose wisely:

Door #1: buy the biggest, baddest muscle car you can find. Get the best financing you can find and stretch that loan out as far as you can, preferably beyond your MSR. And make sure you load that beast with leather, the best sound system, moon/sun roof, wet bar, and heated, cooled seats.

Door #2: buy a slightly used, with low miles, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and baby the shit out of it until your have received the #1 FITREP in your first Fleet Squadron.

Go . . . . .

Last edited:

BattlingTrain

SNA Pro-Rec Y
You have two choices shipmate, choose wisely:

Door #1: buy the biggest, baddest muscle car you can find. Get the best financing you can find and stretch that loan out as far as you can, preferably beyond your MSR. And make sure you load that beast with leather, the best sound system, moon/sun roof, wet bar, and heated, cooled seats.

Door #2: buy a slightly used, with low miles, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and maybe the shit out of it until your have received the #1 FITREP in your first Fleet Squadron.

Go . . . . .
I heard there is a really nice place right off post. No money down, 30% APR. You should treat yourself, getting into OCS is a big achievement, get every available feature.

BattlingTrain

SNA Pro-Rec Y
In a non sarcastic tone, I'd wait because dealerships normally see military as someone with disposable income rather than someone to discount. But if you really want a vehicle now then you're about to have some disposable income so getting a nice reliable used vehicle isn't a horrible idea. I've got about 7 years of military experience but am still applying to the Navy so I'm far from an expert.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Hear me out, SCRA allows you to reduce your pre-service obligation interest to a max of 6% per year, but it doesn't do you any favors if you get a loan after joining. That being said, if the mustang and the Camaro aren't your thing, European brand vendors are also willing to give you a predatory loan that you don't see as commonly with the Asian brands.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hear me out, SCRA allows you to reduce your pre-service obligation interest to a max of 6% per year, but it doesn't do you any favors if you get a loan after joining. That being said, if the mustang and the Camaro aren't your thing, European brand vendors are also willing to give you a predatory loan that you don't see as commonly with the Asian brands.
You're doing something wrong if your car loan is above 6%.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
You're doing something wrong if your car loan is above 6%.
Many people do not join with much financial education, even fewer understand SCRA protections that are available to them. I've helped a few of my bubbas dealing with this exact problem, though my original comment was partly satire.

HuggyU2

None
For new cars, I've used Fighting Chance for 20+ years. No buying service comes close if you follow his advice.

He won't hire an editor so his info on the website and the package you buy from him is way too verbose. But worth the extra read.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Look, here’s how it works…

1. Commissioning to 8th year of service - fast car/USAA Insurance

2. Year 8 to year 18 of service - minivan (you’ll call it an SUV…it’s a minivan)/Geico Insurance

3. year 18 to Retirement - some kind of 4x4, plus a boat or RV/Progressive Insurance

4. Post Retirement - fast car/The General

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For better or worse, it's not a thing anymore. They stopped their relationship with TruCar during COVID..

TruCar + a Navy Fed "pre-approved" auto loan is a good leveraging tool to negotiate with the dealership. Many will offer lower loan interest rates (even some as low as 0% like mine) along with other discounts that TruCar can't offer.