• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brownwater/Riverine

BigRed389

None
As one captain said, it's a new command and there are still some kinks to work out.

The numbers simply don't work, and big SWO Navy detailers are not allowing SWOs to do more than one non traditional SWO tour anyway.

I.e. you get one "fun" job away from big grey underway, then they suck you back in.

There is talk of making RIVRON a separate pipeline altogether of sorts, but like everything that sounds like a good idea, I'll believe it when I see it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny ... when the concept of "Riverine" brown-water Navy was conjured up in modern-day Navy parlance --- i.e., Mekong Delta type "rivers" .... the lowest common denominator in the "O" category would get the nod ... i.e., DOR's from the NAVAIRTRACOM, for one ....

One of my classmates from college & the TRACOM DOR'ed @ Saufley ... said he got "no kicks" from flying :) --- ACTUALLY ... he was a very shitty STUD-pilot ... he got "bumped" to the Riverine Force as a result .... I saw him years later and he confirmed that he got his "kicks" ... BIG TIME. :)

riverinehq0.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The numbers simply don't work, and big SWO Navy detailers are not allowing SWOs to do more than one non traditional SWO tour anyway.

I.e. you get one "fun" job away from big grey underway, then they suck you back in.

There is talk of making RIVRON a separate pipeline altogether of sorts, but like everything that sounds like a good idea, I'll believe it when I see it.

Again, I'm just repeating what I've been briefed about from some of the guys running things in NECC. Here's their website if you want more info.
http://www.necc.navy.mil/

Also, to clear up the confusion, PCs and SWCC stuff is still a SpecWar thing and they perform a different mission. RIVRON and Maritime Security is different and is not SpecWar. Their trying hard to grow the RIVRONs and as a result are pulling people out of just about every community to fill in the open slots and to help "relearn" everything from Vietnam-era Brown Water ops and to get the RIVRON community back up to speed, as it were.

BigRed389

None
Again, I'm just repeating what I've been briefed about from some of the guys running things in NECC. Here's their website if you want more info.
http://www.necc.navy.mil/

Also, to clear up the confusion, PCs and SWCC stuff is still a SpecWar thing and they perform a different mission. RIVRON and Maritime Security is different and is not SpecWar. Their trying hard to grow the RIVRONs and as a result are pulling people out of just about every community to fill in the open slots and to help "relearn" everything from Vietnam-era Brown Water ops and to get the RIVRON community back up to speed, as it were.

Bum gouge.

PCs are not SpecWar. SWCC OICs are now Warrants, but PC crews are still surface Navy. They have pain in the ass TORIS/TFOM, LOA, INSURV, etc. just like the rest of the shoe Navy.
They may work with SEALs and SWCC, but are not part of SOCOM chain of command.

And last I checked, RIVRON was pulling mostly from SURFOR...not air, subs, etc.

BigRed389

None
The guys I know who were on PC's said the CO's were O-4's. Including one who apparently conned his ship drunk :eek:.

It depends on timing. 2nd DH tour is when most make O-4, which also coincides with when you can take PC command.

There's a list of every USN ship with the CO's name, rank and lineal number, so you can do the SWO routine when passing by...last time I looked at it, PCs were mostly O-3s.

navy09

None
Here is a pretty good thread on this same topic- lots of good info in there.

Also check out this brief for some good gouge (originally linked by heyjoe)...it's about two years old now, so it may not be 100% up to date. There's one page that lists all available billets in a RIVRON (for those who don't know designators, 1110 is a SWO and 1140 is EOD). According to the org chart, the O-3 Det OIC owns 4 boats (8 crews), each with a BMC in charge of the crew.