• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Borderline vision (20/40)

DC25

Hello everyone,

I am interested in applying for an SNA spot at OCS, but my vision is very borderline. It is exactly 20/40, a little better or worse probably depending on hydration. It has not changed for multiple years now and I am about to turn 25, so I feel sort of comfortable it is done changing (at least I hope). I know the limit for SNA is 20/40 for USN/USMC aviation, and that's where I am. I do not have any other eye issues, at least that I know of from previous eye exams.

Assuming I get a future package accepted, a big if of course, should I just get LASIK now to avoid getting DQd at OCS because I'm slightly worse than 20/40? I think I would regret not putting forth my best possible application for SNA, which would include the best possible physical condition possible, but on the other hand, I also would be fine accepting NFO or any other designator the Navy offered me at OCS (again, this is getting way too ahead of myself) and I am generally risk-averse and would prefer not to do any surgery I don't absolutely have to. But, LASIK does appear pretty safe these days. I am about to turn 25, so the age limit is starting to become a factor as well. On here, it seems most argue to get LASIK or PRK if you're unsure.

I guess it sort of comes down to how I feel about the risk of being told I'm not in good enough physical condition to qualify for SNA at OCS if it gets to that point. Anyone here have any thoughts or was in a similar situation? Best way forward? Thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why do you need people's opinions to make a simple decision?

If you want to be a pilot without the chance of getting NPQed, get the fucking surgery.

If you don't care about being a pilot, don't.

It's not rocket science and not hard to figure out.

Meyerkord

pilot
In case you weren't aware, the age limit is 32 now, so you still have a decent chunk of time to get LASIK and recover if you choose to go that route. Not sure if that was playing into your decision or not. Ultimately it comes down to you. How much more do you want SNA versus SNFO? Because NFOs have a lot less strict vision requirements. Also consider that you can often get LASIK on a shore tour if your vision starts to get any worse and the Navy determines you need it.

DC25

In case you weren't aware, the age limit is 32 now, so you still have a decent chunk of time to get LASIK and recover if you choose to go that route. Not sure if that was playing into your decision or not. Ultimately it comes down to you. How much more do you want SNA versus SNFO? Because NFOs have a lot less strict vision requirements. Also consider that you can often get LASIK on a shore tour if your vision starts to get any worse and the Navy determines you need it.
I did not know that, thank you.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am interested in applying for an SNA spot at OCS, but my vision is very borderline. It is exactly 20/40, a little better or worse probably depending on hydration. It has not changed for multiple years now and I am about to turn 25, so I feel sort of comfortable it is done changing (at least I hope). I know the limit for SNA is 20/40 for USN/USMC aviation, and that's where I am. I do not have any other eye issues, at least that I know of from previous eye exams.

Assuming I get a future package accepted, a big if of course, should I just get LASIK now to avoid getting DQd at OCS because I'm slightly worse than 20/40? I think I would regret not putting forth my best possible application for SNA, which would include the best possible physical condition possible, but on the other hand, I also would be fine accepting NFO or any other designator the Navy offered me at OCS (again, this is getting way too ahead of myself) and I am generally risk-averse and would prefer not to do any surgery I don't absolutely have to. But, LASIK does appear pretty safe these days. I am about to turn 25, so the age limit is starting to become a factor as well. On here, it seems most argue to get LASIK or PRK if you're unsure.

I guess it sort of comes down to how I feel about the risk of being told I'm not in good enough physical condition to qualify for SNA at OCS if it gets to that point. Anyone here have any thoughts or was in a similar situation? Best way forward? Thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice.
I was in your exact situation, 20/40 correctable to 20/20. Didn’t wanna risk it given all the OCS/NAMI nonsense regarding vision. I got LASIK, it delayed my package 6 months, but I had 20/15 vision as a result. Now, 5 years later my vision is still fantastic. Definitely one of the best investments of my life.

DC25

I was in your exact situation, 20/40 correctable to 20/20. Didn’t wanna risk it given all the OCS/NAMI nonsense regarding vision. I got LASIK, it delayed my package 6 months, but I had 20/15 vision as a result. Now, 5 years later my vision is still fantastic. Definitely one of the best investments of my life.
Thanks for this. Did you start a package and then just wait until those months were up (and do stuff like get LORs and take the ATSB) or did you have to wait completely for six months? I'm taking a look at my vision prescriptions and I actually may be 20/30 or so instead, but I will probably end up getting a LASIK consultation or two to see what they think and if I am a good candidate.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for this. Did you start a package and then just wait until those months were up (and do stuff like get LORs and take the ATSB) or did you have to wait completely for six months? I'm taking a look at my vision prescriptions and I actually may be 20/30 or so instead, but I will probably end up getting a LASIK consultation or two to see what they think and if I am a good candidate.
I had started my package before LASIK, and had to really convince my recruiter (a senior chief) to postpone the application and let me go and get LASIK. His stance was “well you’re within limits, so why risk it?” We all know that vision can change slightly day to day due to sleep deprivation, being tired, dehydrated etc, so I pushed for it and he finally relented.

I believe I had to wait the 6 months in order to schedule the ASTB, but don’t quote me on that. I knocked out whatever paperwork that I could in the meantime.

Also, shop around for LASIK. Some doctors may say you’re too close to 20/20, some will do it, and some will say “oh I thought the military didn’t allow LASIK?” They absolutely do. Also, don’t do PRK. Unless it’s your only option.

DC25

I had started my package before LASIK, and had to really convince my recruiter (a senior chief) to postpone the application and let me go and get LASIK. His stance was “well you’re within limits, so why risk it?” We all know that vision can change slightly day to day due to sleep deprivation, being tired, dehydrated etc, so I pushed for it and he finally relented.

I believe I had to wait the 6 months in order to schedule the ASTB, but don’t quote me on that. I knocked out whatever paperwork that I could in the meantime.

Also, shop around for LASIK. Some doctors may say you’re too close to 20/20, some will do it, and some will say “oh I thought the military didn’t allow LASIK?” They absolutely do. Also, don’t do PRK. Unless it’s your only option.
Thanks for the great info. One final question, did you go to MEPS at all or this was before that? I was wondering maybe I'd start the process and see what MEPS said I was (and I know NAMI would be different but maybe MEPS says you're below 20/40 in both). I just am wondering if you show up there and show up as 20/50 or something if they'd let you go get LASIK then or if it's too much of a commitment at that point to stop like that for 6 months+.

And yes, I am scared enough about LAISK, PRK and the awful recovery is probably a no go for me and a sign to just go NFO. I will definitely see what a few different ones say and ask my normal eye doctor who she'd go to if she were to recommend someone. Thanks again!

exNavyOffRec

Good advice, and good for pushing for it as it is your career not the OR's, you would have been the one getting redesignated not the OR, too many OR's see people as a number but they need to look at them as people.

I had guys that needed LASIK and we would do everything we could during the wait time.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the great info. One final question, did you go to MEPS at all or this was before that? I was wondering maybe I'd start the process and see what MEPS said I was (and I know NAMI would be different but maybe MEPS says you're below 20/40 in both). I just am wondering if you show up there and show up as 20/50 or something if they'd let you go get LASIK then or if it's too much of a commitment at that point to stop like that for 6 months+.

And yes, I am scared enough about LAISK, PRK and the awful recovery is probably a no go for me and a sign to just go NFO. I will definitely see what a few different ones say and ask my normal eye doctor who she'd go to if she were to recommend someone. Thanks again!

I couldn’t go to MEPs until 6 months post LASIK. It was one of the last few things I did I believe. If you get LASIK after MEPS I believe it nullifies the results you got. Again, don’t quote me on that.

As far as MEPS and being “committed”, you aren’t really. The enlisted guys there that will be next to you are in an entirely different world, and are about to ship out to boot camp. For you, it’s just a weekday. I’m sure it would throw a huge wrench in your recruiters process to have you get surgery after MEPs, but like @exNavyOffRec said it’s your commissioning process, not his/hers.

Assuming LASIK is an option, the recovery is mild at worst. Minor pain, but they medicate you afterwards and send you home with some Valium I believe. Easy and relatively painless procedure. Don’t sweat it. I did, and looking back (pun intended) I shouldn't have.

exNavyOffRec

I couldn’t go to MEPs until 6 months post LASIK. It was one of the last few things I did I believe. If you get LASIK after MEPS I believe it nullifies the results you got. Again, don’t quote me on that.

As far as MEPS and being “committed”, you aren’t really. The enlisted guys there that will be next to you are in an entirely different world, and are about to ship out to boot camp. For you, it’s just a weekday. I’m sure it would throw a huge wrench in your recruiters process to have you get surgery after MEPs, but like @exNavyOffRec said it’s your commissioning process, not his/hers.

Assuming LASIK is an option, the recovery is mild at worst. Minor pain, but they medicate you afterwards and send you home with some Valium I believe. Easy and relatively painless procedure. Don’t sweat it. I did, and looking back (pun intended) I shouldn't have.
If you go to MEPS pre LASIK then your OR would send in the LASIK document to N3M and bypass MEPS.

I found LASIK recovery quite easy as well.

DC25

Thanks again! I will shop around and see what the doctors say. I want multiple places saying I'm a good candidate :)

DC25

If you go to MEPS pre LASIK then your OR would send in the LASIK document to N3M and bypass MEPS.

I found LASIK recovery quite easy as well.
Interesting, so I could start the process now and see what happens at MEPS and then if I need it get it after. Would add a few more months in the process if I had to do it that way, but with the older age now it's not a huge issue for me.