• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boot Camp vs. OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohlmeyerdp

If any mustangs out there, what is the difference as far as free time in OCS vs. boot camp. I know in boot camp we got maybe 3 hours of "free time" Sunday morning. Is anything in OCS different? Any other major differences too would be appreciated.

semperfi1812

Alpha Co '04
In OCS you have really no set schedule at first. As far as your basic daily routine, depending on what route you take, PLC, OCC, etc., it might be different. In PLC Jr's, there seemed to be more of a routine, it was a bit more predictable. In SR's, it seemed like there never was "free time." Somehow you had a list of things to get accomplished before the next day and usually you would hear the Sgt. Instructors say, "we're on your time now candidates." And you usually were cutting into precious sleep time to get things done. That seemed to at least be the case in my platoon and think that is common. And then of course after 3 or so weeks you get a 24 hr. liberty on weekends, in which you are still being evaluated, so don't do anything stupid because they do watch, but you are pretty much free to relax a little, but also get prepared for the following week.
So as far as difference, I think bootcamp was just more structured. You didn't have much time, but you could ususally count on getting it. In OCS, I felt like I had to learn to think on my feet more. I had some choices to make as far as what I was to accomplish. Remember, at OCS it is "Screen and Evaluate." In bootcamp, you just made it through. Hope that helps.

kohlmeyerdp

Thanks. What exactly do the evaluations at OCS affect? Do they contribute to your fitrep or do they carry over to TBS and class rank for your MOS?

KBayDog

Not QUITE a Mustang just yet (5/7 is my big day), but I have been in for ~8 years.

MCRD and Quantico are yin/yang. Boot camp is designed to produce a basically trained Marine. Life was structured, every hour was accounted for, and the DIs ran the show. The WHOLE show.

OCS, as 1812 stated, is to "screen and evaluate." EVERYTHING you do, or fail to do, is noted. Hence the Spear Evals..oops, I meant "Peer Evals." Since your peers are with you 24/7, they act as ~12 other sets of eyes, in addition to your platoon staff. And, believe it or not, other candidates are very candid. (sorry...) If you are slacking off, they will nail you on it. If you piss vinegar, they will say so. It is not quite as structured as boot camp, as YOU run the show. The SI's pretty much just sit back, evaluate, and try to stress the gel out of you. Also, the black flag days jack the training schedule up pretty badly.

Your "free time" is ususally reserved for after Taps; even though you are officially supposed to be in the rack, it is the only time you usually have to prep your uniforms, gear, write your obligatory essays, etc. If your candidate staff is squared away, things will get done quicker, and the platoon sergeant might give you some free time. Basically, to make a long story longer, you are not "guaranteed" F.O.T. like you are at the MCRDs.

OCS evaluations affect OCS standing, specifically your leadership grade. They are also a general evaluation tool - to track your progress, and to have a nice paper trail, should the need arise. If all of your peers rank you dead last, you might spend your Saturday on an evaluation board. Other than that, evals stay at OCS, and have nothing to do with TBS or your fitreps. (Speaking of fitreps, you will receive a "Not Observed" report, but since you are a corporal, don't worry about it.)

KBayDog

p.s. - If you do not go to religious services on Sunday, you go to one of the classrooms, where you can study, write to Suzy, etc. Kind of like boot camp, but you are not in the squad bay.

Oh - and it is NOT for 3 hours! (Figure an hour or so, at best...)

Status
Not open for further replies.