• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOOST?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharaelGA18

Does graduation from the BOOST program (Broadening Opportunities for Officer Selection and Training) automatically qualify someone for the MECEP program?

Stephen

To my knowledge BOOST is just another commisioning program. And once you complete that program you'll go on to a universtity with a ROTC unit or even get to apply for the academy.

A buddy of mine went through BOOST, he's a 1stLT stationed over in japan. And he told me that it was a pretty good program. And also the time he spent in BOOST counted towards his time in service.

However, I think the Navy and Marine corps does it differently. The navy I think you can apply right out of High School. The Marine corps you have to enlist and and once you become a LCPL you can apply to boost. But, the Mecep is just another commissioning source. I suggest you go to some of the web sites for more information. I think marineofficer.com is one.

Hope you found this helpful. "Semper Fi"

USS JKF "4 1/2 acres of sovereign U.S territory"

Stephen J. Hall

klray77

This is the way I have seen it work and understand it. Keep in mind that since all of the STA-21 stuff has gone into effect, this information could be totally wrong. Marines who have been enlisted for some time, and have achieved the rank of LCPL, can apply to the MECEP program. I'm sure there are some tests that are a part of the application process, such as taking the SAT, etc. Some marines who are accepted are allowed to report straght to an NROTC unit after attending MECEP prep school which is a few weeks long. Others, who may be found needing an academic "BOOST", (no pun intended, will be allowed to attend BOOST in Newport. Kinda works the same as an NROTC scholarship where some students are allowed to go straight to college while others will attend BOOST for a year before going to college. This is the way it has worked for the MECEPers who are at my battalion now and those that have recently graduated. So in short, only applying for MECEP will get you into either option, I don't believe Marines apply directly for BOOST.

Hope this helps, ENS Ray (newly commissioned, woohoo!!)

trvsmrtn

pilot
I just graduated from the last BOOST class and the way I understand it from the Marines there, they did apply directly for BOOST and upon completion they go into the MECEP program. Basically BOOST is supposed to act as a college prep for people who may need help accademically before college. As for the Navy, there is no longer a BOOST program, however if the STA 21 selection gurus think that an individuals high school grades are a little low, then they may recommend that he/she go through a 3 or 6 month BOOST curriculum. The Marines still go to BOOST for 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.