• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Although Boeing may seem like a good “deal” it’s never good to invest on a bargain (based on my experience and trading rules). Boeing has some decent fundamentals: 3yrs sales growth, EPS current year. But faulters in many different areas: Current quarterly earnings, Acc/Dis, current Q earnings. Over all it outperforms 87% of all major market stocks. Stay away from stocks on a slump because they could go lower, aka Facebook. Final note, if you have to ask for opinions, don’t invest, do the research. Never trust people’s opinions on what’s good or not, that’s rule #1.
...um, what? Please stop before people start taking you seriously.

wink

VS NFO. Blue and Gold Officer
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question: Am I misguided in thinking that airline pilot unions are strong enough that if they believed that there was a fatal flaw built into an aircraft that they would be the ones asking to ground them? I don't have the background to have a fully informed opinion on the 737 MAX, but since the pilots have the most exposure to a potential problem, they would be the most vocal about getting it fixed.
Basicly, you are correct. Keep in mind the unions and pilots as a whole are, as you likely know, data driven and not prone to histrionics. They would be very vocal if they had the facts. Usually though, those facts come from the manufacturer, FAA and NTSB, so it is hard to get too far out front.

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All based on data facts...not sure what you mean?
looks at profile

You're a bartender with a fine arts degree talking like you're an MBA grad when you claim you want to join a fraternity that values professional credibility above all else. Think on that before you post again.

And for the love of God, please tell me that's not a professional headshot as your avatar pic. This isn't LinkedIn.

Last edited:

wink

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question: Am I misguided in thinking that airline pilot unions are strong enough that if they believed that there was a fatal flaw built into an aircraft that they would be the ones asking to ground them? I don't have the background to have a fully informed opinion on the 737 MAX, but since the pilots have the most exposure to a potential problem, they would be the most vocal about getting it fixed.
An unrelated example of an airline union throwing it weight around and taking the lead on safety. American Airline's union ( not ALPA, but Allied Pilots Assoc.) has instructed AA pilots not to fly any trips to Venezuela.

In light of the U.S. State Department's Level 4 Travel Advisory issued this week regarding Venezuela, APA President CA Dan Carey directs all APA pilots to cease flight operations into Venezuela. In its Travel Advisory, the U.S. Department of State cites "crime, civil unrest, poor health infrastructure, and arbitrary arrest and detention of U.S. citizens." The Travel Advisory also notes that "violent crime, such as homicide, armed robbery, kidnapping, and carjacking, is common," and recommends that U.S. residents "traveling in Venezuela should depart Venezuela." The U.S. Embassy in Caracas has suspended operations and has withdrawn diplomatic personnel from Venezuela, and is not providing any consular services.

Until further notice, if you are scheduled, assigned, or reassigned a pairing into Venezuela, refuse the assignment by calling your Chief Pilot. Inform them that you are refusing the assignment in accordance with the direction of the U.S. Department of State.

Hard to imagine anyone from the US flying to Venezuela these days. Union is doing AA a favor by refusing to fly. Now they can cancel what are probably money losing trips.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
looks at profile

You're a bartender with a fine arts degree talking like you're an MBA grad when you claim you want to join a fraternity that values professional credibility above all else. Think on that before you post again.

And for the love of God, please tell me that's not a professional headshot as your avatar pic. This isn't LinkedIn.
So, you’re saying that only an MBA grad can have an informed opinion on whether a particular stock is a good buy or not. Dispute his reasoning if you disagree.

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, you’re saying that only an MBA grad can have an informed opinion on whether a particular stock is a good buy or not. Dispute his reasoning if you disagree.
OK. If a stock outperformed 87 percent of the market, I'd consider buying some of it without geeking out on the details, unless there was a huge red flag. Yeah, the recent crashes are somewhat of a red flag, but I doubt Boeing is going to go bankrupt in the next 5 years. They're far too diversified. I made good money on Raytheon over the 10 years since the Great Recession merely by realizing it was severely undervalued at the moment and GWOT wasn't going anywhere. I also made good money on Tesla by buying when the Model 3 numbers started to kick off and selling before Elon's shenanigans kicked into high gear. Those are a significant part of why I am sitting in my house, that I had a nice down payment on, typing this post.

Sure, every once in a while, blue-chip stocks tank. But I want to see this fine arts grad's "experience" and "trading rules" before I fall for believing that any obscure finance geekery is other than showing off. I'm not arguing that you have to have an MBA to argue stocks. I'm arguing that the OP is presenting himself as more qualified in the field than his profile presents him to be, and that my personal experience is that you can do perfectly fine by looking at a company's strategy as a whole, and investing for the medium-to-long term. Scoffing at people's investments over finance geekery is fine if you're a day-trader. But for most of us, basing the majority of your portfolio in a good no-load index fund is the goal, with the occasional bet on a company you think has a good strategy or is undervalued. If I wanted to be more aggressive in my trading, I'd pay for the advice of a finance grad . . . not a fine arts grad.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An unrelated example of an airline union throwing it weight around and taking the lead on safety. American Airline's union ( not ALPA, but Allied Pilots Assoc.) has instructed AA pilots not to fly any trips to Venezuela.
I am a little surprised that any US airline was still flying there, the Venezuelans instituted a rule a few years ago where the wouldn't let airlines exchange the Bolivars folks paid for their tickets into other currency and somewhere around $4 billion in airline money was stuck in country as of 2017.

wink

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember when that happened. AA was quite aggrieved. Don't remember how it turned out. I expect the airlines got their money somehow. Your larger point is well taken. The risk is too great, especially with planes that have AMERICAN painted on them. I suppose it has to do with service rights. Don't fly the route for X period of time or abandon it for certain reasons, you lose the route. Also have contracts with One World partners to service that destination.