• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, take 2.

ANYWAY...anybody know what would be considered the slowest speeds the 737 would be able to safely maneuver with? clean, that is.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately I don't. HOWEVER, I have to say that your new avatar is the BEST yet LMFAO! Oh my god I was in tears when I saw that.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All I recall, was that on station loiter was supposed to be in the 220 range....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Loiter as in hang around, both engines, or loiter as in shut one down? Speaking of which, was there any talk of shutting one down onstation to extend?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
boy, i'd not want to shut down an engine on station, even if they are super reliable. maybe if you were hard decked at 1000' or so. i wouldn't imagien there'll be much need to get that low anyhow with the new bouys and whatnot that would be used when that plane takes over. i'm thinking the days of marking on top are fast comming to a middle - bummer.

what do i know though, i'm just a 3p...sorta

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I understand, shutting down an engine will not be part of the onstation procedure for the MMA, when talking with the Boeing ppl.... buuttt, when you get the the Navy involved, who knows what is going to happen...

I don't think low flying is going to disappear, I routinely identified surface contacts with my MK1MOD1 eyeball ahead of the S3 operator in haze or cloudy conditions...

Flight: "Group three off the nose at 14 miles"
S3: "Where?"
Flight: "Group three off the nose at 8 miles"
S3: "Looking..."
Tacco: "S3 I put a designate on it"
S3: "No Tacco, thats contact 31, a fishing boat..."
Tacco: "Oh, you're right...."
Flight: "Group three off the nose at 3 miles"
Nav: "Flight, you got a course and speed yet?"
S3: "Don't see anything flight, are you sure?"
Flight: "Mark on top, now, now, NOW.... course 210, speed 11, insert name and nationality, and S3, that makes it 4 to 2 so far today, better have those beers ready!"

"I'm just a 3P, sorta" Dude, enjoy it while you can, I'd trade places with ya if I could... Definitely enjoy being a 2P...

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
I'm not a 737 expert by any means, but I have around 30-40 hours in the 737-200 (we use it as a bounce jet and in the RAG). We generally fly around the radar pattern at 200 knots and put in a notch of flaps (there is actually a flaps 1 degree setting) in order to get the leading edge flaps deployed. I can't imagine that you would shut down an engine to loiter. Yes, you can do it, but in jet aircraft, you generally save very little fuel by shutting down engines. Reason being is that you can't feather the prop. You have that huge fan out there windmilling and creating quite a bit of drag. That, and being single engine at 300 feet above the water without ejection seats....yikes!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
"That, and being single engine at 300 feet above the water without ejection seats....yikes!"

even with ejection seats, that'd be no fun. Of course, it would be marginally better with ejection seats.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
travislikes said:
I'm not a 737 expert by any means, but I have around 30-40 hours in the 737-200 (we use it as a bounce jet and in the RAG). We generally fly around the radar pattern at 200 knots and put in a notch of flaps (there is actually a flaps 1 degree setting) in order to get the leading edge flaps deployed. I can't imagine that you would shut down an engine to loiter. Yes, you can do it, but in jet aircraft, you generally save very little fuel by shutting down engines. Reason being is that you can't feather the prop. You have that huge fan out there windmilling and creating quite a bit of drag. That, and being single engine at 300 feet above the water without ejection seats....yikes!

Do you get a 737 type rating?

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
No, not unless you go on to be an instructor at VQ-7 after your tour with VQ-3 or 4. You have to log PIC time in order to get a type rating, and we do not in the 737. We also use the 737-600 as a trainer for our new cockpit mod (MDS) and we go down to Dallas and do the Higher Power sims, so we do get quite a bit of exposure, but never logging A time.

Status
Not open for further replies.