• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing: DoD approves Growler FMS to Finland

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The press release. We sold it to the people near China, and now Boeing wants to sell it, and Rhinos, to the people near Russia. Things that make you go "hmm." Interesting to see EA capes approved for release outside the Five Eyes or even NATO lifelines.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Keep in mind that this doesn't mean anything has been sold, only that the sale has been released by ITAR.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind that this doesn't mean anything has been sold, only that the sale has been released by ITAR.
Correct. Hence why I said “Boeing wants to sell.” :)

But it’s still interesting to see DoD give the OK to bid. The Aussies are a lot closer allies than the Finns.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't think of it in terms of what Boeing wants. DoD and the Navy want this for a number of reasons beyond simply fielding additional capacity in AEA. Specific capabilities can be scaled based on individual nation sensitivities. The big problem with expansion of G capacity is availability of Q-99 assets, which will be required well beyond NGJ-MB FOC.

azguy

None
Specific capabilities can be scaled based on individual nation sensitivities.

Additionally, beyond 'sensitivities'/security concerns, industry will scale up/down capability solely based on profit. A country willing to pay more can be sold a better capability than we have in DOD and, more often, a country that doesn't want to fork out as much coin will be exported a dumbed-down capability.

GroundPounder

Help me out on this one. If I understand correctly, the air frame itself is not overly sensitive, in that anything that a potential adversary would want to know is relatively easily obtainable. It's the Whack Master 2000 radar or software that would be an issue? So we sell the Windows 98 version to certain people, the Windows 3.1 to others? Keeping the latest and greatest under wraps?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Help me out on this one. If I understand correctly, the air frame itself is not overly sensitive, in that anything that a potential adversary would want to know is relatively easily obtainable. It's the Whack Master 2000 radar or software that would be an issue? So we sell the Windows 98 version to certain people, the Windows 3.1 to others? Keeping the latest and greatest under wraps?

Answering your question gets a little sticky on a public forum, especially for active-duty types. I mention this to temper other poster's responses.

GroundPounder

Answering your question gets a little sticky on a public forum, especially for active-duty types. I mention this to temper other poster's responses.

My error, certainly not my intent. I thought I was being vague enough, and the answers similarly general in nature. Feel free to delete the original question.

Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My error, certainly not my intent. I thought I was being vague enough, and the answers similarly general in nature. Feel free to delete the original question.

Thanks.
Come on, everyone knows the operation of the "Gonculator" is classified "Extra Supreme Classified", so we can't talk about it. :D

So what I'm saying is that it's the gonculation calculations that's really really classified. So to speak.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Thanks.

You're good! We've been slowly going down this path in the thread, so just making sure we're not going too far down the rabbit hole.

GroundPounder

Come on, everyone knows the operation of the "Gonculator" is classified "Extra Supreme Classified", so we can't talk about it. :D

So what I'm saying is that it's the gonculation calculations that's really really classified. So to speak.

Now I am totally confused. I was led to believe it was all ball bearings. Never a mention of gonculators.