• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue to Green

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
Does anybody have any information or heard of anyone doing the Blue to Green program? I'm curious as to the type of career paths there are and the rate of promotion.

HalfBreed

None
I'm guessing that by posting this in the Supply forum, thats what you do now. The follwing information may or may not apply to the supply corps, but it's what I know from the aviation perspective. If you are really interested in it, I'm sure you could just contact an Army recruiter and he or she would be able to guide you to the correct person.

When I was over at Wing 6 in P-cola the Student Control officer (his job is to redesignate/kick out DORs and attrites) said that of those who do Blue to Green, 80% get their first choice MOS and 100% get their first or second choice. This was one year ago so things may have changed since then, but I immagine its the same. If you are an officer, you retain your rank and time. As an O-1 you get promoted to O-2 after only 18 months instead of 24 (thats just the way Army does things). I don't think you have to go to Army OCS or anything, just a Welcome to the Army type thing where they teach you Army things.

Enlisted I think generally have to do the same thing. You retain your paygrade and time. Generally they try to match you to an MOS that corresponds to your rate. Again, you don't go through boot camp, just training to bring you up to speed on the Army way of doing things.

Take this all with a grain of salt and go talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
A couple things to note about blue to green:

1. If you want combat arms, you better be a junior O-2 and below, or they're not going to take you. You'll need to get some platoon leader time before you put on O-3, and since the clock is ticking, this can be tricky if you're too senior.

2. 2 step process, the Navy has to let you go, so it's usually done at the end of your obligation, and the Army has to accept you.

3. Not sure how helpful an army recruiter would be. Find the instruction for transfering out of the navy, and the instruction on transferring into the army, that should let you know what to do. Also, find the branch in the army you're interested in, and see if you can find a point of contact...usually a detailer type.

snizo

Supply Officer
2. 2 step process, the Navy has to let you go, so it's usually done at the end of your obligation, and the Army has to accept you.

So you get all the red tape of two completely separate government entities. Hooray! I know one guy switched over - took him about 14 mos before everything was approved and done with :)eek:). Hopefully they've improved the process...

I looked in to this (through a different program) and was "warned" by one of the recruiters. Once the Iraq business has settled down and our troops are back, the Army will likely shrink - and that could mean a whole lot of people getting RIF'd.

IRfly

None
I looked in to this (through a different program) and was "warned" by one of the recruiters. Once the Iraq business has settled down and our troops are back, the Army will likely shrink - and that could mean a whole lot of people getting RIF'd.

So you're saying that the package comes with great job security!:D

snizo

Supply Officer
I don't know - how is the Army doing for recruitment these days?

If it is as bad as it was a while ago, they might not have anyone left to RIF. You're gauranteed to make general officer :D