• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Ridge (California) Fire

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Took some photos yesterday of the SAJ CH-47 from Billings doing some water drop ops.

They were doing some great work, and it was cool to see them pull water out of the golf course- but they ran out of daylight.

Their website says they can hold 3000 gallons of water in their tank- they had their hose in the water for 45 seconds. And they were about 4 minutes from drop to drop.

20201027_174938.jpg20201027_174503.jpg20201027_174433.jpg20201027_182829.jpg20201027_182817.jpg20201027_173758.jpg20201027_181048.jpg20201027_174501.jpg20201027_174441.jpg

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Somebody found a giant stack of Fat Leonard receipts while cleaning out an old filing cabinet?

(Too soon?)
You say that as a joke but I heard a sea story from a CAPT back when I was an ENS that he had been on a port call in C7F once where Leonard’s company secretly hosted a lavish dinner for a number of US and foreign naval officers. The USN officers thought it was merely a foreign partnership event - but when the dozen or so US officers showed up, Leonard’s crew was all over the place, and it didn’t pass the sniff test. Total schmooze trap. The menus also didn’t show any prices. This officer telling us the story left the table discreetly, called the command JAG (who was back at the hotel getting a mani pedi or something), and got advice from the JAG. Then the officer went over to the maitre d’, basically had to politely accost the guy up to obtain a menu that actually showed the prices, went back to the table, had to price out everything served (5 course meal or something), grab debit cards from all the USN officers, make several trips to the ATM, and then went back to the maitre d’ and - so the story goes - shoved the stack of cash into his jacket pocket and stood over the guy until he got an itemized receipt. Dinner goes fine, Leonard’s crew slinks away, the USN officer gives a full report to the JAG and a copy of the receipt the next day, keeps the original receipt, files it away. Fast forward a decade, the scandal breaks, pretty soon he gets a call from NCIS. “Wait one...” digs out the receipt, emails over a PDF, gives the phone number of that female JAG, the end. Never hears two peeps back from NCIS. I am probably butchering the finer details bc obviously I wasn’t there, but that’s generally what I recall.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Back to the subject at hand...cool photos!
Here are a couple cool pics I took a few years back of the firefighting helo working near my house in WA. It was interesting to watch them work over 30 or so minutes. These folks do amazing work.
I'm trying to figure out how to post an MP4 video that I have. You see these guys disappear into (really behind, but it looks cool) the black smoke, you see a water drop, and then you see the helicopter emerge from the smoke on the way back to pick up more water. You also hear everyone on the hill (all military pilots of one sort or another) watching with me say, "oh shit..." as they disappeared.

We were all pretty darn impressed with their professionalism all around, and that they had a 4 minute time between "attacks". We figured they had maybe 30 seconds of tacadmin time during the transits to and from the water hazard to figure out the next run.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm trying to figure out how to post an MP4 video that I have. You see these guys disappear into (really behind, but it looks cool) the black smoke, you see a water drop, and then you see the helicopter emerge from the smoke on the way back to pick up more water. You also hear everyone on the hill (all military pilots of one sort or another) watching with me say, "oh shit..." as they disappeared.

We were all pretty darn impressed with their professionalism all around, and that they had a 4 minute time between "attacks". We figured they had maybe 30 seconds of tacadmin time during the transits to and from the water hazard to figure out the next run.
There are some good videos on YouTube that get into the technical details of Air Attack. Basically a FAC-A running a CAS stack with various tanker aircraft. Pretty cool.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
You say that as a joke but I heard a sea story from a CAPT back when I was an ENS that he had been on a port call in C7F once where Leonard’s company secretly hosted a lavish dinner for a number of US and foreign naval officers. The USN officers thought it was merely a foreign partnership event - but when the dozen or so US officers showed up, Leonard’s crew was all over the place, and it didn’t pass the sniff test. Total schmooze trap. The menus also didn’t show any prices. This officer telling us the story left the table discreetly, called the command JAG (who was back at the hotel getting a mani pedi or something), and got advice from the JAG. Then the officer went over to the maitre d’, basically had to politely accost the guy up to obtain a menu that actually showed the prices, went back to the table, had to price out everything served (5 course meal or something), grab debit cards from all the USN officers, make several trips to the ATM, and then went back to the maitre d’ and - so the story goes - shoved the stack of cash into his jacket pocket and stood over the guy until he got an itemized receipt. Dinner goes fine, Leonard’s crew slinks away, the USN officer gives a full report to the JAG and a copy of the receipt the next day, keeps the original receipt, files it away. Fast forward a decade, the scandal breaks, pretty soon he gets a call from NCIS. “Wait one...” digs out the receipt, emails over a PDF, gives the phone number of that female JAG, the end. Never hears two peeps back from NCIS. I am probably butchering the finer details bc obviously I wasn’t there, but that’s generally what I recall.
I cringed reading this story because I survived a schmooze trap myself! Sitting at the 4 Seasons NYC with a bunch of loops, our flag bosses, and a couple of Fleet Week fat cats. Our staff JAG warned me ahead of time that our host was probably going to pull a fast one on the bill and pretend that it was the restaurant who was giving us a “military discount.” Exactly what happened. Since our host got the restaurant manager involved, my JAG suggested we slide out of there without a making scene while taking a note of what we ordered. The moment we got back to work, our JAG collected cash from each of us and sent a cashiers check to the restaurant. I’ll never forget that $60 burger!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I cringed reading this story because I survived a schmooze trap myself! Sitting at the 4 Seasons NYC with a bunch of loops, our flag bosses, and a couple of Fleet Week fat cats. Our staff JAG warned me ahead of time that our host was probably going to pull a fast one on the bill and pretend that it was the restaurant who was giving us a “military discount.” Exactly what happened. Since our host got the restaurant manager involved, my JAG suggested we slide out of there without a making scene while taking a note of what we ordered. The moment we got back to work, our JAG collected cash from each of us and sent a cashiers check to the restaurant. I’ll never forget that $60 burger!
Not sure why it matters that the first JAG was female.

That aside, as the old saw goes, if something seems too good to be true, it is. And no one cares about keeping your ass out of jail like you do, and maybe your SJA if they're good. No fine dinner is worth being Bubba's bitch boy later, or having someone try to say "so, about that classified info you know about . . ." You can build a thousand bridges, but fuck one sheep and no one's calling you a bridgebuilder.

That said, interesting to hear @PhrogLoop's story to remember that it's not just folks overseas that'll try to pocket you or your boss.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Added “(California)” to title to reduce confusion/concern.

Last edited: