• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue-21 Candidate in need of advice

Marco

So it looks like this Air Guard Bum might be heading over to the Coast Guard. I had an interview at HITRON yesterday, and was told afterward that they will be recommending me for selection. I am super excited about the possibility. This leads me to my next question: with the intent of exploring every avenue, I had intended to apply for the April 2011 Navy OCS board. I have a scheduled appointment to retake the ASTB on March 7. My scores were PFAR-5, FOFAR-3, AQR-5,OAR-47. I don't want to hurt any chances of being selected by the Coast Guard. I really, really, really, really (you get the idea) want to be a SAR pilot. Do you, current Coast Guard aviators, think that I should press on and go ahead with the scheduled retest, or should I stand fast? I have LOR's from two BGEN's and a Colonel, mediocre GPA (2.64, I explained in the interview that I had some family issues with my grandfather and helping him out and had to drop some classes at the time), decent awards and decs (Air Force Achievement Medal, Superior Performer Citation, etc.) lots of community service, and am a NCO. I want to afford myself every opportunity, but am trying to apply some ORM to the situation. Please advise, thank you.

-Marcus

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
It sounds like you are wondering if going after a Navy OCS billet could compromise your chances of a Coast Guard spot if I'm reading your post right. I wouldn't think the Coast Guard would care, or even find out for that matter, that you are pursuing other commissioning sources. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

With the over abundance of applicants we have right now (enlisted and officer) you would be foolish to put all of your eggs in the Coast Guard's basket and not look at other potential job opportunities.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the process. I hope it works out for ya! :)

Marco

Thank you for the reply. Moreso I am asking if I should retake the
ASTB or not. I felt it necessary to include some additional information to help paint the big picture as to what is included in my packet. Thanks!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I would for Navy. The mins to apply for Navy (a year or two ago) was at least a 4 in each category. For Navy...a typically competitive score is in the 6-7 range across the board. All across the range has been accepted, however, like I said before I believe the MINS are 4's though. So yes.

I had a low GPA (2.5) and had a 8/9/8 50-something as my scores. Hope that helps.

Brunes

pilot
Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna press forward and retest.

I would too. All the armed services are trying to slim down the payrolls right now...so a mediocre GPA and mediocre ASTB scores even with letters from everyone probably won't get your application package put in the "MUST HAVE" pile...