• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Black officers in the marines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharaelGA18

My recruiter told me that because I was black and had a 1020 SAT and 87 ASVAB score and that because I was in excellent shape playing years of football that it increased my chances of being selected in an officer program because he said the marines need black officers(my recruiter is white mind you) is there any revelance to this or was he just trying to get me to sign the papers.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I am not sure what the quota is, if there are any, for minorities into specific officer programs. The process today for Aviation slots, or any other officer slot for that matter, are few and far between. Getting selected today is almost a crap shoot. Its how good your package is against others at that specific time. That being said, if there is a need for black officers and you really want to become one, then take whatever opportunity they give you. The road is long and arduous, but well worth it!

Dave

PharaelGA18

I've always dreamed and wanted to be a pilot,but if not I would want to be an infantry officer because I'm not afraid of being dirty or putting myself on the line for my country.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
SATs above 1000, decent grades, and being in good shape will give you a pretty decent chance of being accepted. Truth be told, being a minority doesn't hurt. As they kept repeating over and over in TBS, the Corps doesn't have "quotas," but it does have "goals." If it comes down between two equally qualified guys, one a minority and one not, or between a guy and a gal, guess who my money will be on.

Phrogs phorever

Duff

I used to work for a little while in a Recruiting Office. Like they said, its not a quota, but they definately want more recruiting done of minorities. But truthfully, you sound pretty qualified, better than some of the people that called into our office half the time.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by PharaelGA18
I would want to be an infantry officer because I'm not afraid of being dirty or putting myself on the line for my country.

Good to go... because unless they cleaned out the IMC or Quigley since I was at OCS, you will get friggin dirty!

Status
Not open for further replies.