• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Black Hawks

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Believe you me, the only thing that stops me from applying is my eyeballs...
When I was flunking out of college (too much wine, women, song, cutting classes, and a red TR-4) ... the only thing that stopped me was a 50% Army W/O casualty rate in a little dust-up in a far-off place in SEA. :eek:

So I got religion and stayed in skool .... GO NAVY!! :)

pdx

HSM Pilot
When I was flunking out of college (too much wine, women, song, cutting classes, and a red TR-4) ... the only thing that stopped me was a 50% Army W/O casualty rate in a little dust-up in a far-off place in SEA. :eek:

So I got religion and stayed in skool .... GO NAVY!! :)

My dad was in that particular dust up. He was a Marine with the distinguished accomplishment of making Sgt three times and staying alive.

bobbybrock

None
I've been an Army CWO Blackhawk pilot for 13 years. In that time I've seen 2 guys who actually came in straight from high school with no college or enlisted experience. The last one I saw was only with our unit for 10 months then got sent elsewhere when we deployed to Iraq.
If you come into the program straight from the civilian side then most people consider you "high school" to flight school. I came in after I graduated from college and people ask if I was high school to flight school knowing I went to college first.
For any of you guys who are intrested in the progrm feel free to contact me(bobbybrock@hotmail.com). It is a good time to apply. Like A-4' s said it is a great program for guys who just want to fly. After thirteen years I've never left the cockpit.

SlickAg

pilot
Does the NG operate using that program as well or do you pretty much have to be enlisted in the unit to get a WOC spot?

bobbybrock

None
The guard usually sends guys to flight school from wihtin the unit. I'm actually on my way off of active duty and will fly full time for the guard. What the Navy calls TAR..I think it all depends if you can find a unit to send you to flight school. What state are you looking at?

SlickAg

pilot
I'm an SNA down here in Corpus. I was just curious. I would definitely try to land a guard spot after I got out of the Navy. I'm sure it would be great flying, plus a way to hit 20. Of course, that's about 9 years from now.

bobbybrock

None
It can be done, but the guard likes to hire from w/in or take guys with experience from active duty. I'm getting ready to go fly for the guard in a few months.
What state is it that you are looking at? I have quite a few friends who are fulltime guys. Again like anywhere in life it is who you know.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My dad had a kid do it from the high school where he teaches. From what he told me the kid was pretty smart, as in he probably would have been competitive for ROTC/a service academy.

bobbybrock

None
The kid we had in our unit had been excepted to some pretty good schools on the west coast but opted for the WOFT. His grades and SAT were pretty high. Again, he was one of the few that I've seen in my 13 years. By the time the kids twenty-six he'll be a CW03 with mega flight time.

SlickAg

pilot
I would have given serious thought to that program while I was in high school, but at the time I was still mildly myopic. I'm pretty stoked about where I ended up though.

Bobby: I'm from Texas. God willing, I'll be back there when my time in the Navy is over.

bobbybrock

None
SlickAg,
Not sure if you are going to be flyng helo's or not, but if you are then there a few units in Texas that you can go to.
If you decided to fly for the Guard there are three 60 guard units I know of in Texas. They're in Austin, Dallas and I believe Houston. There is also a reserve Apache unit in Conroe TX just outside houston.
As a regular officer you have few options in the guard. You can retain your last rank in the Navy and find a unit. In this case you'll probably find yourself on staff. You can also take a warrant commission to to CWO2. As a warrant you'll fly a little more in most cases. You'll still retire at your highest rank or pay.
Anywy when I went through the AQC( same as FRS) 12 years ago we had two former Navy H-3 drivers go through. They were both in the guard. One remained a LT the other wasn a LCMDR who became a CW02 because he just wantd to fly.
So if you are intrested in the guard it is very doable from your side. Either way you'll be just a VFR X-country flight away from the " Dixie Chicken".