• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

best timing for PRK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimisoko9

I was recently told by my recruiter that if I were interested in PRK, I should have the surgery done six months prior to submitting my application. Is this correct?

Given the current backlogue, couldn't I have the surgery done and get a waiver while I am waiting for a selection and/or class date?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the problem. Lets say you put in your application and get accepted for a slot 8 months down the road. You elect to have PRK eye surgery. During the process of the eye surgery, your eyesight becomes 20/25 non-correctable to 20/20. Now you are not physically qualified (NPQ) to start OCS or even get a commission and you've waisted your time and the Navy's time and taken a slot from someone else that IS qualified. There are no guarantees with PRK and it has some risks associated with the procedure (although minimal). So, your recruiter is right on the head, when he/she says get the surgery (plus 6 months healing) then apply to make sure you are physically qualified.

Here's my advice to you...If you want or need the surgery, get it done, then come back into the fight. Otherwise, submit your package now and see what happens. If you fail to select for the community you want, then try again. But make sure you are educated about the risks of eye surgery before you do it...it may impair you for the rest of your life. Also make sure you meet all the post PRK eyesight requirments that is posted on the NAMI website.. Good luck.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

mimisoko9

I understand your rationale, but I spoke with a PRK study contact at NOMI since my first post, and he said I wouldn't have a problem obtaining a temporary waiver, per se, three months following surgery even after submitting my application. He said once I go to Pensacola, I would be (re)evaluated for the surgery and based on their findings get the official waiver, or not.

My point is, regardless of the timing of my application submission relative to the surgery, it seems I would still be subject to an evaluation which could render me NPQ'd; waiting for a six-month follow-up prior to submitting an application would not matter.

Is my understanding correct? Did I get accurate information?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is assuming that NOMI/NAMI make the rules for new applicants, but they do not. The Navy has a general "wait 6 months after sugery" policy for new personnel.

I broke my ankle before coming in the Navy and had sugery. Had to wait 6 months after the surgery to come in and I believe this is what the recruiter is going by. Have him/her see if the requirements are different for PRK. I don't believe they are, but I could be wrong.
Good luck.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

P.S.- Try posting to LCDR Geer in the recruiting forum....he might have better answers for you.

Meridiani

The required wait time for a PRK waiver depends on your uncorrected visual acuity prior to surgery. If your vision is better than about -5.0 diopters, you should be able to get a waiver in 3 months. Check out the requirements at: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik . I went ahead and had PRK surgery while I was at the beginning of the application procedure, but I really didn't have a choice because I'm getting close to the age limit. If you have the time, I'd suggest taking your recruiter's advice and getting the surgery well before applying.

mimisoko9

Good feedback. Thank you.

Checked the standards, and based on my current piss poor vision, I'd need that 6 month follow up eval. I'm 25 1/2 and can probably afford putting off submitting my app for a little while.

Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.