• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Ships and Homeports for OCS SWO??

Oliversk0999

Hello all,

I have been selected to attend Navy OCS as a SWO after my upcoming graduation from college and I would like to know more about what ship is best for getting SWO pinned early, best experience as far as cool missions, duties, port calls and travel? Also, which homeports have the best lifestyle, and support those factors^. Additionally, are there any ships/homeports that I should stay away from?

From past and current SWO’s experiences, what ship/homeport do you wish you had or are you grateful you selected and why?

Thank you, all information is greatly appreciated- I know very little about the fleet and different ships

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not a SWO, but I can tell you:

1. Japan will generally get you the fastest quals. Life in Yokosuka is awesome in my opinion. Note: you will be at sea probably between 40-60% of your tour there. This is why SWOs there usually qual earlier.

2. San Diego is probably the most sought after, in general.

3. Norfolk is probably least desired as far as I'm aware from SWOs.

Last edited:

Oliversk0999

Not a SWO, but I can tell you:

1. Japan will get you the fastest quals. Life in Yokosuka is awesome in my opinion. Note: you will be at sea probably between 40-60% of your tour there.

2. San Diego is probably the most sought after, in general.

3. Norfolk is probably least desired as far as I'm aware from SWOs.
Very helpful, thank you

Larick

None
Contributor
Getting qual'd fast really depends all on you and your initiative, combined with the ship's schedule. Ideally, going to a ship that is getting ready to deploy is your best bet. Try to avoid one that just entered the yards to get worked on/repaired.

Every ship does cool missions in their own way. Check out the surface ship fact file below to give you an overview of the ships we have in the fleet. You'll have to choose either an LHA/LHD, DDG, CG, LCS, LPD, or an LSD for your first ship. When in doubt, just choose a DDG.

https://www.navy.mil/Resources/Fact-Files/

Since you're going to OCS, your ship list might not give you every ship class to choose from when it's your turn. When I was at OCS, I had the mindset of choosing a DDG, but had to choose between an LCS out of San Diego and a MCM out of Bahrain when it came to selection time. I chose LCS/San Diego since I'm from there and have a strong support system to fall back on and do not regret that decision at all. I eventually made it to Bahrain on my CG while on depoloyment. Being there for a couple weeks and getting paid tax free was nice, but I wouldn't do it for 2ish years.

For port visits, don't expect much due to COVID. Expect to look at a lot of water.

Oliversk0999

Getting qual'd fast really depends all on you and your initiative, combined with the ship's schedule. Ideally, going to a ship that is getting ready to deploy is your best bet. Try to avoid one that just entered the yards to get worked on/repaired.

Every ship does cool missions in their own way. Check out the surface ship fact file below to give you an overview of the ships we have in the fleet. You'll have to choose either an LHA/LHD, DDG, CG, LCS, LPD, or an LSD for your first ship. When in doubt, just choose a DDG.

Since you're going to OCS, your ship list might not give you every ship class to choose from when it's your turn. When I was at OCS, I had the mindset of choosing a DDG, but had to choose between an LCS out of San Diego and a MCM out of Bahrain when it came to selection time. I chose LCS/San Diego since I'm from there and have a strong support system to fall back on and do not regret that decision at all. I eventually made it to Bahrain on my CG while on depoloyment. Being there for a couple weeks and getting paid tax free was nice, but I wouldn't do it for 2ish years.

For port visits, don't expect much due to COVID. Expect to look at a lot of water.
extremely helpful, thank you

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired

First tour SWOs can’t go to CVNs?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
First tour SWOs can’t go to CVNs?

There's not enough opportunity to do everything you need for quals. Also, you will be competing for OOD time with all of the non-SWOs trying to get their letter for promotion boards.

any non nuke SWO should want to avoid CVN's

Correct. CVNs (and LHDs and LHAs) are terrible places for SWOs. Don't go as a first tour DIVO.

Nope. 2nd tour SWO (Nuke)

There are quite a few second tour SWO DIVOs and DHs running around on a carrier. They are in charge of everything from Deck (non-AB), engineering (non-nuke), and OPS (CIC and the like).

Hello all,

I have been selected to attend Navy OCS as a SWO after my upcoming graduation from college and I would like to know more about what ship is best for getting SWO pinned early, best experience as far as cool missions, duties, port calls and travel? Also, which homeports have the best lifestyle, and support those factors^. Additionally, are there any ships/homeports that I should stay away from?

From past and current SWO’s experiences, what ship/homeport do you wish you had or are you grateful you selected and why?

Thank you, all information is greatly appreciated- I know very little about the fleet and different ships

For fastest qualification, you want to find a ship that will have enough underway time to get you qualified and isn't swamped with ensigns so that you're all competing against each other. Generally, I would recommend an independent deployer DDG in a forward deployed location like Rota or Japan. Stay away from the LCS or MCM draft as a first tour since they don't reflect the larger Navy. They are special ships with special operating models and special missions. For your SWO pin, you need as much general Navy and "normal" fleet experience as possible.

As far as duty stations are concerned, my vote is for Rota, Mayport, or Everett. As @Larick mentioned, you may not have any of these options available and may be stuck choosing between a DDG or a CG in Norfolk. Ship selection at OCS can bea crapshoot so learn to roll with the punches. You will soon learn that timing and Needs of the Navy will have a large effect on your career. For now, stay focused on getting to OCS and then getting through to your commission.

exNavyOffRec

There are quite a few second tour SWO DIVOs and DHs running around on a carrier. They are in charge of everything from Deck (non-AB), engineering (non-nuke), and OPS (CIC and the like).
The CVN's I was on those were filled by LDO's (except OPS), the CHENG at first wasn't but then switched. It wasn't really a great billet as they didn't have much to be responsible for at all, CHT, DC, and the potable water piping outside the propulsion plant (not the water).

Oliversk0999

There's not enough opportunity to do everything you need for quals. Also, you will be competing for OOD time with all of the non-SWOs trying to get their letter for promotion boards.

Correct. CVNs (and LHDs and LHAs) are terrible places for SWOs. Don't go as a first tour DIVO.

For fastest qualification, you want to find a ship that will have enough underway time to get you qualified and isn't swamped with ensigns so that you're all competing against each other. Generally, I would recommend an independent deployer DDG in a forward deployed location like Rota or Japan. Stay away from the LCS or MCM draft as a first tour since they don't reflect the larger Navy. They are special ships with special operating models and special missions. For your SWO pin, you need as much general Navy and "normal" fleet experience as possible.

As far as duty stations are concerned, my vote is for Rota, Mayport, or Everett. As @Larick mentioned, you may not have any of these options available and may be stuck choosing between a DDG or a CG in Norfolk. Ship selection at OCS can bea crapshoot so learn to roll with the punches. You will soon learn that timing and Needs of the Navy will have a large effect on your career. For now, stay focused on getting to OCS and then getting through to your commission.
Extremely, Helpful, thank you. Could be a stretch but Is there a way to know which ships are headed in/out of maintenance before selection at OCS?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I hate answering these kind of questions, but it really depends.

There is no such thing as the "best" ship or homeport, because my take on a favorite or best may not reflect yours or others.

OP, research the different types of Navy ships... in particular DDGs, LCS, CG (though many might decommission soon) and Amphibs. You already got a link to how to start.

Second, look up the different homeports and places. Each of them has pros and cons... even places like San Diego and Hawaii can have some downs (like cost of living).

Third, leadership can help make or break a SWO tour/experience. Remember, COs are usually in the seat for 18-24 months... and then they leave and someone else takes over. I would rather have an amazing CO on an "older" ship than a shitty/screamer one on a newer platform. However, unlike looking up professors on ratemyprofessor.com, you won't have the same luxury to look up command climate and CO's when you pick your ship at OCS.

My food for thought.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The CVN's I was on those were filled by LDO's (except OPS), the CHENG at first wasn't but then switched. It wasn't really a great billet as they didn't have much to be responsible for at all, CHT, DC, and the potable water piping outside the propulsion plant (not the water).

Some billets are held by LDOs, some by warrants, and some by regular SWOs.

Extremely, Helpful, thank you. Could be a stretch but Is there a way to know which ships are headed in/out of maintenance before selection at OCS?

No, because ship schedules are classified.