• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best CAC Friendly Laptops

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
Any suggestions on the most user friendly CAC Laptops - I'm talking like ready to use out of the box easy - plug in the CAC ready no download stuff. I'm just not that technical.

I have MacBook Air that I had working at one point - but it just too touchy and time consuming to trouble shoot.

Mos

None
I use a surface pro 4 with a scr3310v2 reader and the dod certs provided at the militarycac site. With Windows 10 it's pretty much plug and play. When I was active duty, it worked without active client. After going reserve and getting dual persona, my mil cac stopped working this way. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting tips, but eventually the only thing that worked was getting active client. I know there are ways you can get AC for free, but it was only about 35ish bucks, so I haven't regretted the purchase.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I use a surface pro 4 with a scr3310v2 reader and the dod certs provided at the militarycac site. With Windows 10 it's pretty much plug and play. When I was active duty, it worked without active client. After going reserve and getting dual persona, my mil cac stopped working this way. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting tips, but eventually the only thing that worked was getting active client. I know there are ways you can get AC for free, but it was only about 35ish bucks, so I haven't regretted the purchase.
The ITs used to pass out CDs with all the necessary drivers, AC, etc. I presume that is still the case.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I think most PCs are still going to require drivers, Active Client and some cert installation. There are some good sites that can walk you though that stuff step by step.

Try: https://militarycac.com/

I am technologically retarded and this site has basically everything you need. Including a nice old school Win-95 layout that breaks it down Barney style.

Mos

None
The ITs used to pass out CDs with all the necessary drivers, AC, etc. I presume that is still the case.
They probably do, but I was in another state and a month away from the next drill when the problem presented itself.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
For those with Macs, CAC support seems much more built in and transparent with Catalina. Setup is super simple per the militarycac instructions, only gotcha I've noticed so far is you need to login from the lock screen using your CAC pin otherwise it won't recognize your card.

Of course now that I saw that I'm sure it'll stop working for me...