• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best bolt action .22 or .17

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Must just be a Kentucky thing, don't see too many people varmint hunt with .223. :D Most of our varmint hunters won't use anything smaller than .300 Win Mag. Of course, the definition of varmint varies from region to region. ;)

Varmint is a varmint is a varmint: prairie dog, coyote, bob cat, wood chuck etc etc. Now, population of varmints from region to region is a different story. Using 300 Win Mag on varmints? Sure, I've shot most of my coyotes with a 270 but neither are considered a varmint cartridge.

Second to the 22-250 the 223 is the varmint cartridge. 220 Swift, 224 Weatherby Mag (becoming obsolete), 221 Fireball (gaining popularity again), 222 Rem (my favorite, not to mention I shot my first deer with it), 222 Rem Mag (becoming obsolete, 225 Win (obsolete), 243 Win (outstanding all around cartridge, even though it's a 6mm most still consider it to be a varmint cartridge but heavy enough for deer, I shot my second deer with it), 6mm Rem (another outstanding and under-rated cartridge), 204 Ruger (exploded onto the scene and looks like it'll hold it's own), 223 and 243 WSSM (mixed reviews on these, outstanding ballistics for sure but not sure if they'll gain in popularity as a varmint cartridge like the 22-250 and 223).

Back on topic. Chuck, I grew up with (and still have) a single shot bolt action, couple semi autos and a couple bolt action 22LR and (I realize you're looking for a magazine fed bolt action) and I have to say my favorite was the single shot bolt action. It forces you to take better aim in my opinion and definitely forces you to take your time. Can't go wrong with a bolt action either. As for the 17 or 22, I have no expierence with the 17 HMR or 17 Mach 2 but I haven't heard anything bad about them. 22LR will be around for a long while and I imagine the ammo is quite a bit cheaper than the new 17's. Both of my bolt action 22's are Marlin and have had no problem with them. The bolt action single shot is a Remington and I absolutely love it.

Can you tell I'm on deployment with nothing to do?

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Must just be a Kentucky thing, don't see too many people varmint hunt with .223. :D Most of our varmint hunters won't use anything smaller than .300 Win Mag. Of course, the definition of varmint varies from region to region. ;)

This post was made in [JOKE] tags, they just didn't show up, I guess. :D