• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BEING A MARRIED LT AT TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I will be getting my commission this May, and heading to TBS in the fall. After my commissioning, I will be getting married this summer.
My question is- what do the Marine Officers who have gone to TBS recommend- will I be so busy that my wife should just stay back home until flight school? Or is it worthwhile to have her come down to TBS with me? Just wondering what your experiences have been.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Taxman2A-
I've been wondering this same question myself. I'm not anywhere close to being married, but I was curious myself if my wife should come along to TBS, or if she should stay where she has the better job? My mom went with my dad when he was at TBS, so I guess that it's not unheard of, but she is also a registered nurse so she found a good job at the hospital that was nearby. Let me know what you hear from E5b. Thanks. Semper Fi

Maverick:"Mustang this is Ghostrider requesting flyby."
Air Boss: "Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full."

Jester

pilot
Taxman,
I am currently at TBS-about six weeks into the POI and married-and would recomend bringing your wife. There really isn't any reason why she should stay behind. Yes, you are going to be busy and there are going to be nights that you will have to, or want to, stay on base at the BOQ. But most of the time you will be able to go home for the evening. Even though your time with your wife might only be a couple hours a night during the week, you will be glad that you have it. It's nice to get away from TBS during the week and spend time with someone you love and enjoy being with. Besides you will have the weekends to spend with each other as well. The other benefit of bringing your wife is that it will give her the chance to get adjusted to what your career in the Marine Corps will be like. She will be able to interact with other spouses and get a better feel of what you are going through at TBS.

My wife is here with me and I am glad I have her. On the weekends we go up to D.C. to sight see, we go shoping together, we go to movies, and what ever else we feel like doing together. Trust me, you will want your wife here with you to spend what ever time you have together and get you away from TBS.

This, of course, is just my advice. Your decission will obviously be based on your own situation and circumstances.

Semper Fidelis,
Jester
2nd Lt USMCR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
-Jester-
Good point. I can only imagine the amount of stress that is relieved when you come home to someone that isn't dressed in a uniform. I understand the importance of her being there. I'd hate to be there without someone to come home to every night. Especially on the weekends.
Thanks.

Semper FI

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Jester is right on. BTW, we are in the same Plt. During range week I opted to stay at the "Q", but my wife did bring supper to me and my fire-team one night, then cookies on another night. Jester, too bad you aren't in my fire-team. Anyway, like Jester said, even though it may be a couple hours at home, it is so worth it. After a week of sleeping at the Q I appreciate this even more. We have a 5-month old boy, so getting out of the house is a little bit more difficult sometimes. I lounge around in my PJ's most of the weekend and play with my boy. Usually we'll get together with another couple here on base and watch a movie or play cards. TBS is a great time for your spouse to learn the "ways" of a Marine Officer Wife. Well, there is really not much else to say, Jester covered it all.

2nd Lt Bailey

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Thank You all for the responses.
I can understand all of your reasons, and this makes me more confident about making the decision for her to come with me.
One more question I have on this topic- About how many of the Lieutenants down there are married?

Semper Fi

airwinger

pilot
E5B,
how's your XO, is it Capt S. a short Naval academy LogO?
If so he was my SPC.
I don't envy you guys doing range week during the cold winter months.
By the way "your worst day at flight school is better than the best day at API"
airwinger

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep, thats him alright.
I take it you were in Charlie Company?

Did you know Lt Matt Petterson that went 03?

Beetle

airwinger

pilot
His first name was Matt? wow, shows you how close we were:) Yeah he was a hard dog ex sniper right. I'm not sure where he ended up most of those guys ended up East Coast though(if that's vague enough not to compromise him. I did hear that two of the hardest 03 guys(another ex-sniper and an ex-Super Squad) wound up with units that missed the big show in Iraq.
You guys almost done?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, we're almost done, MOUT then the War.

Matt and I were in the same Company with 1/1 (Wpns CO). I was with 81's PLT and he was with heavy guns (sniper on the second deployment, but still in Wpns nonetheless). He ended up a 0303 on the west coast.

Where are you at in your training?

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.