• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beards... and Skipper Shenanigans

Hair Warrior

Seconded. I had a good JAG friend tell me that squadrons would call him and ask if it was cool if they built a squadron bar. He would respond stating that if they really wanted an official answer from him that they should think about it and call him back later. Kept them both safe from getting/giving answers that no one wanted.
So what did he say when they called him back?

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Listening to a JAG was your first mistake. They spend the entire last year of law school studying ways to remove the fun from any situation. We were advised on cruise, by a JAG, that we shouldn’t have a squadron plane wash where people buy votes for their favorite MMCPO, etc, because “someone might have their feelings hurt.” That advice was acknowledged, and promptly discarded.
I said they told me something. I didn't say I listened to them; I just pondered whether other people did. :)

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fixed it. One of the JAGs on base is a good drinking buddy of mine - he finds more ways for us to get away with stuff than he does finding ways to take away fun. It's all about the relationship you have with them. We always make it a point to invite our SJA to stuff like T-Bar Thursdays or when the Base Skipper opened up the O Club in Jax. They'd hardly ever come, but the invitation was enough that they would always go to bat for us if needs be.
JAGs are like docs. There are the douchebag rule Nazis, and there are also the good ones who do the best they can to get to "yes."

cfam

A pilot is a pilot. An NFO is something else.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Final email:

Team—this will be my last email to you. Due to the distractions caused by the unfounded AP article last week, I am stepping down as President of YOUR college effective immediately. The Provost is assuming duties as Acting President.

I feel so blessed to have served YOU in this extraordinary institution hoping that I played some small part in the education and development of future leaders. The great Federation philosopher Captain Christopher Pike said, “most people never get a chance to learn what was in their own hearts.” As for me, this place, this time, all of you are my heart...so...
Speaking at an institution of higher learning, I would be remiss If I did not offer just a few thoughts.

The first thing I would charge you with is to be bold and to dare greatly. It is the only way to make headway against the profound challenges of our world and an ocean of troubles.

And that would of course be the second requirement...to remember to thank those on whose shoulders you stand. I thank my family, my wife and daughter especially, but also my friends, our great Foundation partners, and this extraordinary Faculty and staff for showing me the path...and through whose efforts this great institution is even greater.

Finally, i would ask that you know that your faith in God and in your nation are not misplaced. There is no nation like ours. No nation that will defend the rights of others and serve as the beacon of liberty even to the last full measure of devotion.

I was asked the other day where my my faith comes from, and like faith itself it is hard to give body to. It was in searching for my own soul after taking the lives of others that i sought to again feel the constant and firm hand on my sholuder that I felt as a child when we went to bed hungry, rich in love but poor in need, or when things were particularly desperate like during a storm at sea where I genuinely feared for my ship and her many souls.....a storm that exceeds the measure of mere mortals, but all of these rocky shoals in life were in truth and in faith reconciled through a soft whisper much like a dancing snowflake briefly illuminated by a moonbeam. I have seen angels on earth though I oft failed to recognize the gift I had been given, and i too have brushed the velvet hand of Death that I may know her gentle touch when this earthly journey is through.. Faith then is not a concept to learn...it is what we feel and, imperfect as my soul may be and most certainly is, it is also simply what I am. I hope you then can find your own faith within the light that is YOU.

Therefore, If on a rare day in the years ahead when you see a glint more beauty than you remember or thought possible, or a brief glimpse of a walking shadow in these hallowed halls, or when a sweet song speaks to your heart in the veil between worlds, perhaps you might reflect on some rare occasion on a fellow flawed human who simply loved you all with all his heart.

I would be remiss if I did not remind you of the words I used when I took command and simply note, as Teddy Roosevelt said:

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I thank you all for daring greatly in the face of adversity and change.

And so in closing I ask that you may remember the words of the wise British philosopher Christopher Robin who said to Pooh Bear,
“If ever there is a tomorrow when we are not together, there is one thing you must remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

May God bless and keep our great nation.
May God bless and keep you!
God Bless us every one.

sincerely
jeff “honored, blessed, and humbled” harley

Jeffrey Harley
Rear Admiral, USN
President, U.S. Naval War College

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Margaritas after secure time...Why not? Probably not a great idea to have it in his office given the policies on alcohol at Navy sanctioned events/locales. However, I think that the long-standing war on military traditions has been destructive to our warrior creed. I'd expound on that, but would likely find myself being called out for "not getting with the times"...