• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beards... and Skipper Shenanigans

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
We have a beer tap in our ready room. We just had to get a letter signed from the base CO. I had the JO's write-up a "instruction" to govern when the tap is allowed to be used. Sometimes doing paperwork as an XO is pretty easy.
Our ‘instruction’ was written in crayon and is hanging on the back of the wardroom door.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
We had one in Oceana and I believe another squadron or two did as well. It had been installed long ago but we got it back into working condition. I don't know what the admin process was like, but my gut tells me that in our case we just did it and went about living our lives.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
We had beer in our wardroom in Jax - all it took for my Skipper to be ok with it was a thumbs up from the base JAG. Three minute conversation later and we were good to go. Not sure why its a big deal - I've had various bottles of bourbon in my desk for the last four-ish years and it's never been an issue...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I’d love booze in the wardroom or my desk, but the problem is getting home. Being 30 min from base and the risk of getting pulled over squashes it for me. Even going to the O club on Fri afternoons would be great, but again it’s getting home.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I’d love booze in the wardroom or my desk, but the problem is getting home. Being 30 min from base and the risk of getting pulled over squashes it for me. Even going to the O club on Fri afternoons would be great, but again it’s getting home.
Take that, add Japan’s zero-exception “one and done” policy, and you’ve got yourself an O Club filled with nobody but ghosts.

wink

VS NFO. Blue and Gold Officer
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny, in the early 80s at North Island, and I am fairly sure up at Miramar, there weren't any beer taps in ready rooms. Just wasn't a thing. But, we had a lively O club scene where a guy could have a couple beers at lunch and strippers went on at the Oclub.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Ah the days when readyrooms had beer on tap.🤔
They don’t still? News to me.
The problem in Navy land, as it was explained to me, is that every place that serves alcohol on base needs a permit from CNIC. So you either need people willing to do the paperwork and probably get told "no," or someone senior enough in the chop chain to give you top cover from a one-star's staff.

Which is really kind of sad, seeing as we're dealing with adults here.
No.

You guys are so quick to believe the negative, buy into a narrative. Having a bar in the ready room isn’t hard. It’s actually quite easy. If the front office doesn’t want it, that’s another story.

Last edited:

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They don’t still? News to me.

No.

You guys are so quick to believe the negative, buy into a narrative. Having a bar in the ready room isn’t hard. It’s actually quite easy. If the front office doesn’t want it, that’s another story.
All I'm sharing is what I was told by a different JAG, and that if that gouge was going around, then maybe that's a partial reason why I never saw a tap in a ready room . . . in my own experience. I'm sure it was the strictest letter of the law as opposed to reality, so if people are not having to do that, more power to 'em.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Listening to a JAG was your first mistake. They spend the entire last year of law school studying ways to remove the fun from any situation. We were advised on cruise, by a JAG, that we shouldn’t have a squadron plane wash where people buy votes for their favorite MMCPO, etc, because “someone might have their feelings hurt.” That advice was acknowledged, and promptly discarded.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Listening to a shitty JAG was your first mistake.
Fixed it. One of the JAGs on base is a good drinking buddy of mine - he finds more ways for us to get away with stuff than he does finding ways to take away fun. It's all about the relationship you have with them. We always make it a point to invite our SJA to stuff like T-Bar Thursdays or when the Base Skipper opened up the O Club in Jax. They'd hardly ever come, but the invitation was enough that they would always go to bat for us if needs be.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah, dunno if it is an active vs reserve thing, but I've known or worked with a couple if them who were down to earth, funny, good dudes who happened to also have a sharp legal mind.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fixed it. One of the JAGs on base is a good drinking buddy of mine - he finds more ways for us to get away with stuff than he does finding ways to take away fun. It's all about the relationship you have with them. We always make it a point to invite our SJA to stuff like T-Bar Thursdays or when the Base Skipper opened up the O Club in Jax. They'd hardly ever come, but the invitation was enough that they would always go to bat for us if needs be.
Seconded. I had a good JAG friend tell me that squadrons would call him and ask if it was cool if they built a squadron bar. He would respond stating that if they really wanted an official answer from him that they should think about it and call him back later. Kept them both safe from getting/giving answers that no one wanted.