• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP to Direct slot

nugget61

pilot
Ok, so here's my situation. I was picked up last October for BDCP SNA only to find out that my eyesight was just barely below standards. Had PRK performed on both eyes in November and got med-up late June. Apparently somewhere in that time my pro-rec was withdrawn.

My OR told me all that needed to be done was a simple call to the BDCP program director and he could reinstate my pro-rec. However, according to my OR the program director was "completely unreachable" and he never heard back from him, despite multiple calls/emails. As my graduation was quickly approaching (Aug 1) I asked my OR to see what could be done about getting a direct slot instead of a BDCP slot. Again, he said that the program director has the authority to grant this. Still he can't get in touch with him, so I plan to apply to the November boards.

My q's:

1) Assuming my OR talks to him, can the program director make my year old BDCP pro-rec become an active direct pro-rec?
2) Should I send a letter of reconsideration to the boards? I'm under the impression that that is if you weren't previously picked up. I made a note in my motivational statement that "I'm reapplying now that I'm medically qualified" but do not know if that will suffice.
3) Can having a timed-out pro-rec affect a new selection? My OR is VERY pessimistic about my odds now when he was before very optimistic. Don't understand why and he won't explain.
4) Does anyone see something that I'm missing/should ask my OR about?

If this has been covered before, please link me. Couldn't find a similar situation. Thanks.

nugget61

pilot
Ok, short version and the important question. (I have to tell my OR whether or not to send out my paperwork by Monday)

I had a bdcp sna pro-rec. It timed out due to prk.
Will that in any way affect me reapplying to the boards for a direct slot? Should I include a reconsideration letter if I do send in my package now?

bigT86

Final Select SNA
I would include a letter explaining the situation if it was my package. Of course I'm definitely no expert on the matter.

nugget61

pilot
Would proper form be to include an additional letter with my package or slide something more into my motivational statement?

bigT86

Final Select SNA
I would type the letter in the reconsideration format, as this would be the most direct format. After all, the board is essentially reconsidering you since you never got a final select. Just be straight to the point and still humble for acceptance.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I was gonna ask you how this was working out for ya. So looks like we're in the same boat now I 'spose... sucks you lost the BDCP pro-rec.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I would do the reconsideration letter. Just explain the situation and how it is. The board isn't as cut and dry as the website, your OR or your own anticapation makes it out to be. All they have to work with is what you submit, so explaination is needed and the motivational state i dont believe is a good place for that. keep the MS about the good and why you should be an officer, and the reconsideration why they should. G'luck, just keep at it. I would

nugget61

pilot
I was gonna ask you how this was working out for ya. So looks like we're in the same boat now I 'spose... sucks you lost the BDCP pro-rec.

Its been one hell of a big cluster fvck. When are you back to the boards?
And in my personal situation, my OR told me that "they don't want to hear from me beyond my application" (meaning the boards) and also that I probably won't make November now, but that there's time to hit the December boards... but I thought there weren't Dec boards? Or was that just a last year thing?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
That's interesting. I was under the impression all reapplications were supposed to include some type of "why" statement as to their reasoning they should be looked at again. I included one. Why won't you make the November boards? I'd hope you/your recruiter would have your stuff in line after the med-down period (like I'm one to speak... haha). I've heard both ways that Dec boards meet or not so I'm not sure.

I was up for the Sept. boards, until they were canceled. Waitin on OCT, which are presumably meeting today.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I had a similar story and don't know if it will help but here goes...

I was selected BDCP SNA in Oct 2006. Went to MEPS in Nov, NPQ for vision. I received a phone call from the civilian admin guy who offered me a SNFO slot. He said that I would have to completely re-apply if I got PRK. I suspect he was trying to get me to take the easy way out and just sign up. I politely declined in favor of PRK. Surgery was in Jan 2007. In early May I called my actual recruiter to see what I needed to do to "re-apply." He asked me to drop off my surgery paperwork ASAP. He faxed it to the board and 1 week later I received the call for final select direct accession (no BDCP since i was graduating in a week). I reported to OCS May 20th.

Maybe there was a huge rush to get guys to OCS and I got lucky. But my point is I didn't do anything other than drop off my medical paperwork and he took care of the rest. If I remember correctly he told me that he just had to send in the paperwork for the waiver and a request for reconsideration. Less than 3 weeks from dropping the paperwork off I was checking into OCS.

Sounds like my recruiter was able to go through the program director. But if your recruiter is telling you that you need to go in front of the board again, then he is responsible for putting together your package and including all necessary paperwork. If a letter of reconsideration is necessary then he will include it. I would suggest writing one and just tell him that you have it ready if he needs it.

nugget61

pilot
That's interesting. I was under the impression all reapplications were supposed to include some type of "why" statement as to their reasoning they should be looked at again. I included one. Why won't you make the November boards? I'd hope you/your recruiter would have your stuff in line after the med-down period (like I'm one to speak... haha). I've heard both ways that Dec boards meet or not so I'm not sure.

I was up for the Sept. boards, until they were canceled. Waitin on OCT, which are presumably meeting today.

I wish. My OR has had all of my paperwork (PRK waiver approval, package, bdcp pro-rec, everything) since late June and STILL he can't get something together. To say I'm disgruntled is an understatement.

I had a similar story and don't know if it will help but here goes...

I was selected BDCP SNA in Oct 2006. Went to MEPS in Nov, NPQ for vision. I received a phone call from the civilian admin guy who offered me a SNFO slot. He said that I would have to completely re-apply if I got PRK. I suspect he was trying to get me to take the easy way out and just sign up. I politely declined in favor of PRK. Surgery was in Jan 2007. In early May I called my actual recruiter to see what I needed to do to "re-apply." He asked me to drop off my surgery paperwork ASAP. He faxed it to the board and 1 week later I received the call for final select direct accession (no BDCP since i was graduating in a week). I reported to OCS May 20th.

Maybe there was a huge rush to get guys to OCS and I got lucky. But my point is I didn't do anything other than drop off my medical paperwork and he took care of the rest. If I remember correctly he told me that he just had to send in the paperwork for the waiver and a request for reconsideration. Less than 3 weeks from dropping the paperwork off I was checking into OCS.

Sounds like my recruiter was able to go through the program director. But if your recruiter is telling you that you need to go in front of the board again, then he is responsible for putting together your package and including all necessary paperwork. If a letter of reconsideration is necessary then he will include it. I would suggest writing one and just tell him that you have it ready if he needs it.

Sounds like your OR rocked. Mine claims to be unable to get in touch with the program director (I smell BS) and that my only option is to hit a board.
I'll ask him about a reconsideration with the program director. This is absurd that I'm having this much trouble getting back in.

nugget61

pilot
Update:
My OR said today that you cannot reactivate an old pro-rec from a previous fiscal year, and seeing as how October just rolled around he says my only option is to do a direct ascension board app... and despite him having it since sept 11, he has not touched it. I don't know what the hell he's been working on when he tells me he's been working on my package, but when he told me today I needed to get him the DA application I told him to check his old emails. Yeah. January boards here I come. If my OR does something by then.