• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP or NROTC - will begin college this fall

A.E.

Hello,

It is my goal to serve as a Naval Aviator and while I like the idea of BDCP's SNA guarantee, I read that the program is contracting and might even close... I am thinking about whether I should still wait it out and see what happens with it or join NROTC and try to kick ass and be "service selected" for SNA.. Its just that the NROTC forum is not really clear on how confident a midshipman can be in his chance of becoming an SNA, whereas with the AFROTC I think you can sort of calculate your order of merit... Basically what I am asking is, do you think its more competitive to apply for SNA in BDCP or NROTC?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
The sub thing comes and goes, not sure what it's like now. Looking back, BDCP sounds a lot more ideal since you don't have to deal with the NROTC bullshit every other day of the week for +4 years, but honestly, I've had some great times and experiences during NROTC and during Midshipmen cruises that I'm glad I went the NROTC route. Also, the full-ride scholarship thing is pretty cool, too. When I was a senior, everyone that wanted aviation pretty much got it, and this was during the sub draft as well. We had a few stellar guys who the submarine community wanted, one guy actually commissioned whatever the designation for subs is, but eventually, and somehow, everyone that wanted aviation ended up getting it for the most part if I can remember correctly.

But like Leo said, no guarantees.

A.E.

I'm trying to size up 4 years of petty bullshit vs. 12 weeks of intense-bullshit. Yeah the BDCP SNA thing is pretty cool but the way I see it I could just as easily sprain my ankle in OCS and be sent packing to Recruit training, and from what I've read on here as long as you are medically qualified and do your part, getting aviation out of NROTC is likely(am i correct?).. and its also nice because kissing ass to the staff isn't as favored as it is in AFROTC. At the risk of sounding like a cock-sucker NROTC just seems easier too.. I guess I'll have to see and make my decision as I get more info.

Immy

Do you have a 4 year scholarship offer for NROTC? If not, don't go in assuming you'll get a scholarship or be able to commission through advanced standing. From what I experienced last year as a college programmer and from what I've seen posted on here, the opportunities for Navy college programmers are extremely few and far between these days.

Just something to weigh. If you do have a 4 year scholarship for NROTC though, then that's a no brainer IMO. Sure you're guaranteed SNA if you go BDCP or OCS, but that's if you get selected. If you already have a sure thing, go with that. Just my $.02.

A.E.

Do you have a 4 year scholarship offer for NROTC? If not, don't go in assuming you'll get a scholarship or be able to commission through advanced standing. From what I experienced last year as a college programmer and from what I've seen posted on here, the opportunities for Navy college programmers are extremely few and far between these days.

Just something to weigh. If you do have a 4 year scholarship for NROTC though, then that's a no brainer IMO. Sure you're guaranteed SNA if you go BDCP or OCS, but that's if you get selected. If you already have a sure thing, go with that. Just my $.02.

No I was thinking about picking up advanced standing but you're right.. I just remembered that NROTC is really pulling in the reigns.

MasterBates

Go to a state school (in-state). Get a technical major.

Do BDCP. Technical major allows you to get it for 3 vs 2 years.

If I could repeat my career, this would be the big pre-commissioning thing I'd change.

I only did BDCP for a year, and went to an expensive private engineering school. I would have been far better off going to U of M