• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP= no subs??

bcooper7789

I have been looking at BDCP for some time now, and on the Navy website when I do the officer planner BDCP comes up when I enter Subs. So far though all signs lead to BDCP does not incorporate being a Submariner! Is the only way to become a submariner through NUPOC? If so, that sucks because of the extra classes you need completed to apply! I'm only a sophomore and haven't had a chance to do physics yet!

kd5pbo

I'm not sure, but you might be able to get in if you plan on taking it later, especially if your major requires it.

Make sure when you do take Calc and Physics you get good grades. NR cares about grades a lot more than the boards for other designators.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Correct. NUPOC is basically BDCP on steroids. When accepted to NUPOC you'll get a selection bonus (something BDCPers don't get) as well getting E-6 pay instead of E-3.

Apply after this year...if I remember correctly you can only be on NUPOC for two years anyway...you haven't taken enough academics yet for the technical interviews.

cheme09

Subs does have BDCP, it's just called NUPOC.

Its basically the same. You can be accepted to the program up to 30 months prior to graduation. You will be considered active duty military with no obligations (no uniform, drills, etc). Really, the only difference b/w BDCP and NUPOC is the signing bonus (15k initially, then 2k when you finish NNPS) and your pay rate is E-6 prior to commissioning.

The part about the calculus and physics requirements and the interview at NR are standard requirements for all those who want a Nuclear designator, whether they come from NUPOC, NROTC, or USNA.

As far as OCS goes, the difference b/w applying for a nuclear designator and anything else is you trade the ASTB for the NR interview. And kd5pbo is right. NR cares more about grades, so do well in your classes, especially technical classes, and ESPECIALLY calculus and physics.

cheme09

and yes, come visit us at nukewarriors.com, there's a good bunch of prior,current, hopeful (like myself) NUPOCs ready to answer your questions.

bcooper7789

So does BDCP never get that signing bonus if they get subs? I am currently in NROTC and anyone from ROTC that goes subs gets that 15 grand bonus once they do their interview. In BDCP would you just get it later once you did your interview?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
You can also be a Supply officer if you don't want to be a Nuke. Have a friend that did BDCP Supply and went subs. Really it's the only gig that you are a department head on your first tour... He really enjoys it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
In BDCP would you just get it later once you did your interview?

You get your bonus once selected...again, reading comprehension, the program is NUPOC not BDCP.

In BDCP you spend a lot of time playing the waiting game. In NUPOC, once you get screened to interview, it's your slot to lose. They let you know THAT day if you got in or not after you meet with the 4-star. In fact, he usually tells you himself. Once they give you the check, there's no turning back.

cheme09

If you're already in NROTC then all you have to do is let your NROTC class advisor know you want to go subs. There's no need to go NUPOC since you're already in a commissioning program. You'll most likely have to review your classes and set up your academic plan for the rest of your time in school. Then you'll schedule an interview with NR sometime down the road and the admiral will accept or deny you a sub spot.

Since you are NROTC, you won't be part of NUPOC. That means no active duty time or pay for you. But I imagine you'll still get the 15k signing bonus, and you seem to have some info to back that up.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I have been looking at BDCP for some time now, and on the Navy website when I do the officer planner BDCP comes up when I enter Subs. So far though all signs lead to BDCP does not incorporate being a Submariner! Is the only way to become a submariner through NUPOC? If so, that sucks because of the extra classes you need completed to apply! I'm only a sophomore and haven't had a chance to do physics yet!
The NUPOC is a BDCP program, but it does have different requirements and benefits.

For starters, it has a $15,000 bonus, and you get E-6 pay until you commission. This is in contrast to other BDCP programs that have no bonus and E-3 pay until you commission.

Of course, the extra requirement is that you have to have 1 year of calculus based physics and 1 year of calculus, and that you must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA once you are in the program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you're already in NROTC then all you have to do is let your NROTC class advisor know you want to go subs. Then you'll schedule an interview with NR sometime down the road and the admiral will accept or deny you a sub spot.

It'll be like a service selection. Put down subs (or surface nuke as your choice) and you'll most likely go to NR to interview during your senior year. Yes, everyone selected Nuke (USNA, ROTC, NUPOC) will receive the bonus.

NUPOC is unlike BDCP in that if you're a civilian off the street (already graduated, degree in hand), they will pay you E-6 pay prior to OCS (of course, they'll also make sure to get you into the next available class to avoid paying you for a long time to do nothing).

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
NUPOC is a really great deal if you can swing it. Yeah they've got some academic requirements and you do have to pass the interviews and get in, but you do get E-6 pay for only having to run the PRT every 6 months. And the time counts towards your retirement time too I believe