• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad Starbursts After PRK... Looking for a New Doc/Laser

C.Redmann

Hey,

I just joined this forum today because you guys really know a lot about the PRK stuff, I've been obsessed with trying to figure out what is causing my starbursts after my PRK procedure 2 1/2 months ago. I'm looking to go into the Navy Special Warfare Program (SEALS), but there is no way I can go in with my vision the way it is... maybe one of you guys can offer some insight?

Custom PRK 2 1/2 months ago VISX4 6.5mm & 7mm pupil size
4.5 diopters of correction; no astigmatism;

Currently: Left eye 20/45 (needs enhancement)
Right eye 20/20 (good vision during the day time)

Problem: I have very very serious starbursting at night and slight glare. When I pressed my doc for answers last week he said my optical zone size was 6.3 for both... but then quickly added that pupil size is not known to cause night vision abnormalities. Through my research though, I have found 2 very divergent philosophies on the issue. Also I don't really have any islands left to heal or any other problems including daytime starbursts/halos/double vision etc.

Anyways, thats a long boring story... I need a new doc and maybe a new laser. If anyone had their surgery done either in the upper midwest (my home area) or the south (where I'm now going to school) please let me know which doctors you had because I've prepared for the Navy for years and there is no way I'm giving up this dream yet. Thanks in advance. If you have any more questions please let me know.

By the way, this forum is great. The Navy SEAL forum is kinda weak compared to this.

Thanks,

Chris

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your eyes will not be fully healed until 6 months post-op. It might take a little more time before things settle out. Doublecheck with your doc about that; he should still be doing monthly checkups.

AppleCello

MINIMUM time to heal is 3 months, thats why the navy policy (at least as it pertains to aviation) states that a minimum of 30 days stability is required, checked at the earliest 90 days post-op.

C.Redmann

Thanks... yeah I'm aware that healing doesn't stop until 6mo - 1yr post op, but I know most of it also occurs within the first 3 months. Also, Nittany I see you're from MS. Did you have PRK in MS? Because thats where I am going to Law School....Jackson... maybe you can give me a referral?

Thanks Again,

Chris

C.Redmann

I had a -4.5, so I was nearsighted (myopic) and I did have the wavefront procedure with custom PRK (6.3 optical out to a 8mm transition zone). On my current topography most of the center of the cornea is blue or light green meaning that it is remotely flat. So in my reasoning the starbursting has to be caused by light scattering off the outer transition zone as my eye dialates at night to let in more light??... but I'm no doc either.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks... yeah I'm aware that healing doesn't stop until 6mo - 1yr post op, but I know most of it also occurs within the first 3 months. Also, Nittany I see you're from MS. Did you have PRK in MS? Because thats where I am going to Law School....Jackson... maybe you can give me a referral?

Thanks Again,

Chris

Unfortunately I can't . . . I got mine done in New York 4 and a half years ago. Yes, most healing occurs in 3 months, but I would definitely bring your concerns to your doctor or even get a second opinion from another surgeon. They are likely to be more qualified to make any kind of decision than a bunch of pilots and wannabes.

I will say that I had some scariness and second thoughts during mine. I went to New York City with my folks 3 weeks after having one eye done, and remember standing in Battery Park, closing my "unzapped" eye and seeing two Statues of Liberty. But it all worked out in the end; I can fly the ball at night which was my greatest fear.

But be sure to get it sorted out. I know of one individual who got NPQed in Advanced because of post-PRK night vision issues that didn't get fixed. However, I also know a classmate in flight training who had to go under the laser twice due to complications. He is now fine. Don't know their details and wouldn't publicly post them if I did, but I think you get my drift . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least now I can do something with a red chevron before I bolter.

You'll become aquainted with the "poor man's DLC." Frowned upon by LSOs, no doubt, but a tool to keep in your toolbox nonetheless. It's basically a quick lateral wag of the stick that causes you to settle a tad without screwing up your on-speed attitude. Caveat emptor: As always, never center a high ball in close. ;)

Brett

jerky1280

Hey,

I just joined this forum today because you guys really know a lot about the PRK stuff, I've been obsessed with trying to figure out what is causing my starbursts after my PRK procedure 2 1/2 months ago. I'm looking to go into the Navy Special Warfare Program (SEALS), but there is no way I can go in with my vision the way it is... maybe one of you guys can offer some insight?

Custom PRK 2 1/2 months ago VISX4 6.5mm & 7mm pupil size
4.5 diopters of correction; no astigmatism;

Currently: Left eye 20/45 (needs enhancement)
Right eye 20/20 (good vision during the day time)

Thanks,

Chris
Chris, I don't know anything about optical size or any of the technical aspects of PRK. I had mine about 18 months ago, and I had some serious glare for the 1st six months. In fact, riding my motorcycle at night was so bad that I avoided it for a long time after my surgery. While I can't make a comparison between the intensity of your glare compared to mine, I can say that it took almost a year for the glare and starbursts to reduce to what I consider an "acceptible" level, and they are still more prevalent than before my surgery.

C.Redmann

Thanks for the input guys, I don't have a choice, but to wait. Over Christmas break when I get back to the Midwest I'm going to see that doctor in Illinois though for a second opinion. Jerky, thanks for the insight. I guess there's still hope...

Chris

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
JetJunkie said:
That is exactly the reason. It is more light entering thorugh (or outside) the transition zone and scattering as a result.
I'll second JetJunkie - the doctor I went to for my surgery said it was a good thing I was getting PRK instead of LASIK because when he dilated my pupils they were on the larger side of the spectrum and said if I did LASIK I would have had problems with halos and starburts because my pupils would've expanded outside the corrective area allowed by LASIK. Sounds like that's what could be part of your problem. Now I'm 20/15 from -4.5 myopia and -1.0 astigmatism in both eyes with no night halos. Sorry, my doctor was also in NJ near NYC.

You have the right idea, let it settle down over the next few months and check in with your doctor regularly, or another good eye surgeon near your school if you don't get home every month!!

AppleCello

I'll second JetJunkie - the doctor I went to for my surgery said it was a good thing I was getting PRK instead of LASIK because when he dilated my pupils they were on the larger side of the spectrum and said if I did LASIK I would have had problems with halos and starburts because my pupils would've expanded outside the corrective area allowed by LASIK. Sounds like that's what could be part of your problem. Now I'm 20/15 from -4.5 myopia and -1.0 astigmatism in both eyes with no night halos. Sorry, my doctor was also in NJ near NYC.

You have the right idea, let it settle down over the next few months and check in with your doctor regularly, or another good eye surgeon near your school if you don't get home every month!!

Good Doc makes all the difference. I am 3 months post-op as of Sept. 4 and I'm seeing 20/20 each eye, 20/15 combined. no halos or artifacts of any kind. Nice.

Hope your Doc can figure things out for you, Redmann, best of luck with it.

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
I had PRK done April 12th, and I'm still experiencing some symptons, what, five months later?

Pretty much starbursts and halos are long gone, I just have some ghosting as the day goes on, mostly in my right eye. The left eye is a pretty standard 20/20, but the right eye gets worse throughout the day. So as long as I get my eye tests done in the morning, I'm great! :eek:

Unfortunately, this is one job where I have to be realistic about my vision, due to safety reasons, etc. If it doesn't get better, go go SWO or Intel. :D