• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad runner needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

russo22jax

I am the worlds worst runner
banghead_125.gif
and need a program to increase my speed quickly. I am running about a 9:30 mile in the blazing FL sunshine but need to shave a couple minutes off for the PRT. I have good GPA, ASTB scores and can do pushups, pullups and situps no problem so I have a good shot at SNA or SNFO (if I am professionally recommended). Anyone have any Jedi sectrets that would help? Thanks
batman_125.gif

JKD

increase the distance of your run, even if it means running a little slower.

If you have been running the 1.5 miles for PRT, increase to 2.5 - 3 miles. The added endurance will help reduce the 1.5 mile time.

I've seen a one month program that varies the distances from 1.5 - 4 miles throughout the month (you don't start running 4 miles until the 3rd week). If I can find it I will post the link.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Do some track work dude. I ran CC for years. Get out on the track and sprint a 200, 400, 800, 400, 200. Pyramid intervals. Keep track of your time, and try to keep everything in equilibrium. This will KILL you, but it will get you in good shape... something to do besides increasing your distance.

BYSun

Warlord is correct. The key to speed in distance running is to have a balance between distance running (endurance) and interval training (stamina). I would suggest interval training twice a week max though. You dont need much. Too much and you will wear yourself and you body down. The pyramid will probably be the best interval training for you.

oh...and it may sound corny, but find a way to LOVE running. Make yourself want to do it. Remember, many people are not hindered by their body so much as they are by their mindset.

Good luck,
Bryce

kevin

tie a bunch of dog bones around your ankles and run by the k-9 section of your nearest police station.

jaerose

Also, do some striding drills to lengthen your stride...if you can move farther in fewer steps comfortably, then you should be able to move faster as well. Also, run some hills...up and down.

JR

Disclaimer: I am NOT a running coach. I am dispensing advice that I cannot guarantee will work for you. I have both read this to be effective and also been coached to use it by the track coach at my Alma Mater. Please seek professional counsel in the future. Also, I'm in the Navy, which obviously means my advice will not work for someone who is in the Marines.
blindfold_125.gif
(POW!)

kevin

and you know this from......PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!!!! that's what i thought, you crook!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Russo22, when running remember "Big Elbows." When you get to that point in your run, usually a fast paced one like the PRT, where your legs begin to feel like Jello, and you feel like a 'wall' is pushing against you... remember use Big Elbows. I was taught this in high school track. I ran the Open 400 and the 4 x 400 relay. I always felt like Poo the last 75 meters, and my coach would yell out "big elbows."

What happens is when you begin to 'sag' in your run you lose your composure. Run tall with your shoulders up. You start making short steps with your feet because your legs feel twice as heavy. You also start to lose power in your arms. Believe it or not, you don't just run with your feet only. Pump your elbows back as far as you can. This will feel like you're a retard I promise, but no one will notice cause your hitting that wall. Throwing your elbows back instictively brings your knees up higher which in turn lengthens your stride. The longer your stride the least amount of steps it takes to get to the finish line. Mind you, you should only do this in a timed run such as the PRT when you've given all you can give. Don't start off your easy 4 miler like this or you will definately turn some heads, and not in a good way. That's my coaching tip for the day free of charge. Good Luck.

jaerose

Hey, that's a good tip and I appreciate that one. Yeah, none of us want to look like Phoebe from Friends running through Central Park =)

JR

Shepherd

One of my favorite track workouts is the Four Mile Track Workout. It combines your distance with interval work;

Jog - 1 mile in 7:00 - 8:00
Three sets of:
Sprint-1/4 mile
Jog - 1/4 mile in 1:45
Six sets of:
Sprint-1/8 mile
Jog - 1/8 mile 1:00

russo22jax

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will definitely put them into practice. Hopefully I will see that mile time fall quickly. Probably going to exclude the dog bisquit technique -- could get ugly.

Pat

CLAM97to99

A few of the personal trainers at my university have told me that in order to improve my running speed i need to put in a min of 20 mins of running at a time. preferably every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.