• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bachelors Degree Completion Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Well, I am meeting with an officer requiter in a week and 2 days to get weighed in and take a test (not sure what it is called, forgive my ignorance). What the recruiter explained to me, for those who don't know out there, is that they send a kit of all of my information, and if accepted by the navy, I would be commisioned at a grade of E3 (enlisted 3) until completion of my bachelors degree. Now, from what I understood I will be under full Navy benefits WITH pay but I actually wont have to participate in any training until I am out of school. Now, should I fail to graduate or DECIDE (yeah right) NOT to go to OCS at Pensacola after graduation, then I will have to complete a 4 year hitch as an enlisted. Also, they give you rank promotions for making the deans list, so if I did very well, I could enter enlisted service (if no OCS) at the grade of E5. Sounds pretty cool to me. Wish me luck on the test guyz. My weigh in will be very high, but I can control those things, the vision test is what I don't have much control over, but I have never had any trouble seeing and gan read the instructions on a shampoo bottle from 4 feet away (just tried here at my desk). Anyway, just thought that I would post. Not really a question, but hey, get the ball rolling. Also, anyone who has done the Bachelors Degree Completion Plan, or who is going through it now, please share something about the process for those who have not begun it yet. Thanx much.....

-----OracleMSU----------
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

sonny

I am planning to do the same program too, but my recruiter told me I'll be paid more than an E3, something like 2000/month for the general officer program. I think he's lying though(or just don't know) cause I someone else told me only the engineering program and the nuclear program gets that much. If you know anything else, please let me know.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
I hadn't heard of the BDCP until you posted it, but on Friday, I ran across an ad for it in the Aerospace Eng. building here that said "earn up to $1,700 a month." Crap, I barely pulled in $1,200/mo. working [almost] full time at Home Depot. What's up? Or rather, where do I sign up???? What's the commitment/obligation (before commissioning, that is...)? I might add that the last line of the ad read: "THIS IS NOT ROTC! NO DRILL, NO HAIRCUT, NO UNIFORM!" Do I get paid for just going to school (puh-lease say yes!)?

Tripp

Edited by - Tripp on 6 May 2000

sonny

Tripp,
yeah are u have to do is go to school. You can apply as early as 2 1/2 yrs. I guess their reasoning is that they want the best officers and with the pay, you shouldn't have to worry about financial problem. They even pay during the summer when u are out partying. As far as I know there is really no catch. They have various program to offer. If you were going to be a nuclear propulsion officer, they were going to give $8000 signing bonus and almost
2800/month depending on where u live. There's
also a civil engineering program, although you really don't have to be a civil enigeer,
and it pays like almost 2000/month (no signing bonus). The last one is a general officer program good for
any program including aviation. This is the one I'm gonna apply to, but I'm not really sure yet how much they pay. I was told it would be the same as the engineering program, but if it is, why would they separate it out?
I'm sure its much less though. I'll check with my recruiter again.

Phoenix

Well, you probably don´t have a choice. You have to take what they offer you. Period.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Tripp

In truth, I'm just a sophomore, so I have about 18 mos. to really find out where I want to take this aviation gig, but I'm just keeping my eye out for new (and possibly better) opportunities.

Tripp

PS: Roger on the check 12!

Tripp

Never got to do OA; my troop's leadership wasn't into it (we just went backpacking all the time--our meetings consisted of info on the next trip and then we would go play capture the flag).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:However, I encourage you to really think it through. Don't sign up in haste now just because they are offering you a chunk of cash. Things can change rapidly and if some other great opportunity came up for you you'd be stuck ...... then you could make a more informed decision just before you graduate.

I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with Shawn here, while the cash may be nice up front, it NEVER hurts to keep your options open. Naval Aviation may be what you have dreamed of since seeing "Ba Ba Black Sheep" , (ok that dated me), or "Top Gun" for you youngins, but you never know what opportunites may present themselves, that you might not be able to take advantage of because you "well and truely burnt your bridges behind you"... just two cents from me, take it for what its worth.

sonny

I don't think this program is bad at all. If you know that you want to be a naval officer already, why waste your time to join ROTC then(unless if you got a scholarship). Also, you'll know your occupation before you end up accepting it. The commitment is the same as in joining after you graduate. I just submitted my application for an NFO slot, but my options are still open. I'll have to wait
and see what happens later.

Mahler

I am on the BDCP program, so let me clear some things up for you. Here's how it works. First, you have to go through the whole application process; ie: ASTB, Physical and all the lengthy paperwork. When that's all done, they send your stuff away to compete with everyone else who wants to join the program. I was notified I was selected just three weeks after my package was mailed away. At that time, you go in to sign your life away and get sworn in to the military. You enlist at an E-3 pay rate and your rank is OCSN (Officer Candidate Seaman) in the Naval Reserves. You are on Active Duty status with full military benifits - including a military ID. Now E-3 pay is about $1300 a month or so. However, you also get a Basic Housing Allowance (this varies on where you live) and a food allowance. My BHA isn't that high because the cost of living where I live is low. In all, I'm making about $1900 a month. If you make the deans list for two semesters in a row, or get someone to sign up, you get bumped to E-4 pay. When you graduate you attend the next available OCS class, then whatever job you got - flight school for me. If you decide to leave the program for any reason other than medical, you must serve two years in an enlisted status. If anyone has anymore questions on the BDCP program, just write me some email at legerlines@aol.com. It really is a great program and I do encourage you to apply.

OCSN James A. Roscoe II, USNR

Dave Shutter

You said you took the ASTB when you applied, did you get approved a flight school slot when you applied? And how far away from graduation was that? Just curious.

D

O-man

One thing about this program that I have not seen anyone talk about (Maybe I read too fast, and it was covered) is that you are obligated to two more years as a pilot (Or whatever else). So a 8 year contract would really be 10.

Mahler

Dave: When you get selected for the BDCP, you get selected for a specific job. So yes, I was accepted for flight school. You can apply for the BDCP up to 24 months from your graduation date.

O-Man: There is no extra commitment for the BDCP. I have to serve 8 years after flight school just like everyone else.

OCSN James A. Roscoe II, USNR
Pilot - SEL
Aerospace Engineering - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Status
Not open for further replies.