• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Baby during Flight School

Mouselovr

Contributor
I'm kidless but in advance and have seen my peers have kids or go through with em.
Heck we even had a girl try to make it through primary as a single mom....

As others have said, there's no good time, but flight school isn't a bad time. NASC/TW4/TW5 have been very reasonable and accommodating around weddings/baby leave/delaying class up dates in anticipation of the birth of a child. Everyone has fantastic spouses who have shouldered the load during crunch times. And everyone has made it through with one exception who DORed bc having kids made him realize a priority shift.

Keep the command in the loop and it should be fine.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
My advice? Wait until shore duty. Flight school is the time to be out making friendships that will last your entire career, when you aren't studying and chair flying to crush your next event. Your first fleet tour will be similar, and even busier. Focusing on that will pay dividends for a long time. Recognizing that not everyone wants or is able to wait (I had my first born during my JO fleet tour), I would still recommend getting on a solid career footing with a few years in your fleet aircraft, and then start a family from your chosen shore duty. Caveat: not as a student at TPS... get to your test squadron first, as @IKE mentioned.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One thing to consider, what if there are issues/complications for mom and/or baby? That could take you out of flight school at a critical juncture and I've long learned it is things are a lot easier Navy-wise once you are winged versus not.

As others have said there is never a good time to have a baby but there are less bad times to have one, flight school is one of those times that are the 'least good' in my opinion.

Reactions: IKE