• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Working Greens

What woud you wear?

• Total voters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agreed. We did a ton of very worthwhile work w/ our HSM guys - particularly at Airwing Fallon. They also flew all the way up to Whidbey to work EW geekery with us. We flew their pilots and they flew us. I got a right seat ride during cruise, to include a brief stop on a DDG. Pretty fun.
I am the Ralph Wiggum of mission systems capability for the Romeo, but sitting in on some briefs (and occasionally have to push some buttons when it's convenient), it's been impressive to hear what the R is doing on the EW side. It's definitely a path for the community to follow (and is following), even more so if the CVW embraces it.

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
Hey! Don't drag us all down just because Pags is becoming "an old guy" and he chose to live life so close to the flagpole. Well, someone's flagpole anyway.

Last weekend I attended my 18th-kajillion change of command where the flight suit was the uniform for attendees. Life is good in many parts of rotaryworld.
Haha, i was waiting to get called on that. I was going to provide more RW horror stories but then I realized that they’re 10yrs old and then I realized that somehow I was now a random old former Helo guy who’s no longer relevant. Or at least I hope for the JOs that my stories are no longer relevant and that the RW world has realized that the world won’t end if people who aren’t on the flight sked wear bags*. Perhaps the two piece flight suit is the new target of uniform angst in the fleet. Did Big Navy ever make up their mind about colored T-shirt’s? Maybe sometime in the distant future they’ll also realize that zipper height is not directly related to professionalism. A man can dream.

Either way, I guess I should move to wherever the fuck in Ohio @mad dog and @ChuckMK23 live so we can hang out together.

*can you still call a two piece a “bag?” Tupperware because it has a top and bottom?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wonder where they got the idea :)
Yeah...not quite the same thing. Also the the AEW.2 is early '80's technology. But seriously, the Bravo was fielded at the same time with some additional juice, and it pales in comparison to what the R is doing lately.

Apparently the t-shirt thing has been sorted...to the point that they/anything can be worn (with command approval). I'm at a point where I don't care and don't want to spend the money on more shirts, so I stopped caring and still rock the black shirt.

Ironically, after "chasing the 2-piece" unsuccessfully, I may just suck up the cost and buy a couple, should what we've discussed via PM come to fruition.

wink

VS NFO. Blue and Gold Officer
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... This organization is a faceless bureaucratic machine, it eats individuals and keeps on chugging along with the momentum of a billion dollar defense industry.
Oh, the Navy is a bureaucracy, for sure. And it is frustrating. But I am wondering, at just what level does this evil self serving people eating machine become so? Department Head? Squadron skipper? CAG? Type Wing? CSG? Maybe it isn't operational leadership. Maybe 2 star major shore commanders? Maybe it is all those O-5s and O-6s in the Pentagon? I for one never saw a skipper that contributed to the organization you describe. Having passed on a command opportunity in the Reserves I found myself in an O-5 billet on the staff of a four star. At the four start level I did not see any evidence of the Navy you describe. Yes, hard decisions are made that effect people, just like a DivO must do. Those decisions simply affect more individuals at the Wing or four star level then a DivO's decisions. But my experience was that the same level of thoughtfulness and consideration was given when making those decisions as a LT DivO, or LCDR DH. In fact, although sometimes clumsy, I'd argue that more thought, more experience and talent came to bear on those decisions the higher up the food chain you go precisely because you have a staff ( O-3 to post command O-6s) with more experiences, ideas, and insights than a fleet LT or DH.

RedFive

pilot
Contributor
Well, that's simple, Wink. When we work with people one-on-one, they become humanized in our perspective. Doesn't matter if it's a four star or a flight attendant. As soon as you engage with them directly and discover that they're actually a human being, too, the artificial distance placed between you decreases. "The four star" actually has a name, and when you become exposed to their inner-circle, you see the reasons behind decisions, you see the perspective from which they process information, and, generally, it probably makes sense. By and large, most people in this organization are good people with good intentions. But even the best people can be forced, by the tools the organization has constrained them with, to do the bidding of the faceless bureaucratic machine. FITREPs are a great example. And even though we have finally identified that we want to change the FITREP system, it will take years. And in the mean time, the system will continue to chew up individuals and spit them out because Skipper had 5 all-stars but only three EPs to hand out. And so it goes...

Sooo....are we getting AWGs back or what? Ya'll are getting side-tracked.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AWG's with the leather jacket instead of the green one for duty was a great alternative to khakis, I would love to see them come back but with TFU screwing up every other Navy uniform I don't see it happening.