• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation vs. Cryptology

yellow_jacket

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on the site but hadn't been able to find anything related to my specific question (yes, did use the search function) so I figured I'd give the posting thing a try. Apologies in advance for the terrible structure of this question - I'm finding it hard boiling down 22 years of thoughts into a few paragraphs.

BLUF: if I am interested in electronic warfare, SIGINT, aviation, and strategy, does crypto offer more interesting/fun opportunities than Aviation?

Originally, the plan was to go to the Academy and branch Aviation. I wound up going to a civilian university and am doing a joint 5-year BS/MS in aerospace engineering. Along the way, I got really involved in research related to electronic warfare, SIGINT, and military strategy. Some mentors (Aviation and Intel folks) suggested that I might be unhappy or frustrated with the Aviation community compared to Crypto. Specifically, they cited the long training pipeline, lack of flying hours, maintenance problems, lack of platform guarantee, lack of big picture, service obligation (they said it could get boring), etc.

I took the ASTB (64 9/8/8) and my recruiter said I would likely be competitive for an Aviation slot. But, I don't want to apply and then turn it down. I'm also exploring some opportunities to fly in the ANG, but I like the Navy more (for obvious reasons, I think).

Right now I'm planning on working for around one or two years (good opportunity came up) and then going into the service. I am looking for information or perspectives related to this dilemma. I'd be particularly interested in speaking to people who have been involved in both communities.

Thanks!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
First thing you have to understand is aviators like to gripe. Aviators from different services like to one up each other how tough training is. But the scenery changes enough to keep things interesting. Crypto consists of a lot of math and computers correct? Some of our more current members will have better info but even way back in my day we had equipment that required knowledge of all three of those to be operated.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Go guard. Do the military thing until the bullshit gets too thick, then go to your real job when you need a break. You could also potentially fly with the guard (with a platform guarantee) and get a job in the civilian/gov sector as a SI nerd.

Why not have your cake and eat it too?

Renegade One

None
My gut response is: If you have to ask this question, go crypto.

But some of the above responses are probably better.

Unless you really wanna go crypto, in which case go crypto. :cool:

MGoBrew11

pilot
Scoolbubba's idea is a pretty good one. Don't let crypto guys talk you of aviation either as they know our community about as well as we know theirs. I am more than halfway through my first fleet tour and I can assure you I have never been bored of my job in my 4+ years in the Navy so far. Frustrated at times, yes, bored, no. I'm willing to bet Intel folks get just as frustrated in their community at times.

You are a shoo in for pilot with your ASTB.

yellow_jacket

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I guess a follow-up would be:

1) Is there a trade on "fun" versus "interesting" in Naval Aviation versus a Crypto / Intel type position? In my mind it seems like Aviation would be a ton of fun, but not as interesting as Crypto. I'm unsure if that is an accurate assumption.

Go guard. Do the military thing until the bullshit gets too thick, then go to your real job when you need a break. You could also potentially fly with the guard (with a platform guarantee) and get a job in the civilian/gov sector as a SI nerd.

Why not have your cake and eat it too?

2) scoolbubba, if this is the case, is there a reason to NOT try do the Guard/Reserves thing? The biggest one for me is that "I don't get to be in the Navy" - which is of some unknown non-zero importance to me - but if someone wanted to be an Air Force pilot, is there a reason to go active duty over Guard/Reserve?

Again, really appreciate the insight. It's my dream to serve in some way, but I care more about serving than doing a particular job so I want to make sure I choose the right one.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I guess a follow-up would be:

1) Is there a trade on "fun" versus "interesting" in Naval Aviation versus a Crypto / Intel type position? In my mind it seems like Aviation would be a ton of fun, but not as interesting as Crypto. I'm unsure if that is an accurate assumption.

2) scoolbubba, if this is the case, is there a reason to NOT try do the Guard/Reserves thing? The biggest one for me is that "I don't get to be in the Navy" - which is of some unknown non-zero importance to me - but if someone wanted to be an Air Force pilot, is there a reason to go active duty over Guard/Reserve?

Again, really appreciate the insight. It's my dream to serve in some way, but I care more about serving than doing a particular job so I want to make sure I choose the right one.

At the end of the day, both paths are just jobs. As far as the guard, I know a lot of Navy guys who’ve gone guard and love it. I’ve never met a guard guy who decided to go active duty Navy. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but I haven’t seen one yet.

I think it gives you the best of both worlds. Research guard opportunities flying platforms that interest you.

yellow_jacket

Renegade,

I've always been torn about whether I'm 51% adrenaline / 49% nerd or the other way around. Doing the Masters in Aerospace and working as a consultant to DoD/industry has, I think, made the decision for me. I do love taking flying lessons, however (hopefully solo-ing soon). The ego is plenty big, but for me that manifests itself as "how can I best be of use to my country?" and not just "what is the coolest job out there?". I just want to combine desire to serve with the best combination of "interesting/fun" job out there. I'm envious of my grandfather - Naval Aviator and test pilot during the 50s - he was active for 6 years, flew in the reserves for another couple, and got to fly almost every aircraft built between 1940 and 1960 (from Wildcats to Skyhawks, just missed the Phantom).

Scoolbubba,

I've been in touch with the 193rd SOW (Penn ANG with Commando Solo), 175th FW (Maryland ANG with A-10s) and 113th Wing (DC ANG with F-16s). Those would be the units I would try to rush, with preference given to DC ANG due to the platform and Penn ANG due to mission - but again, it's a relatively uninformed, "flying fighters sounds awesome" and "Commando Solo mission sounds cool". There's also the very low probability option of trying to direct commission into crypto/intel but I won't even be competitive for that for a few years. I appreciate the advice and will continue to explore the ANG options. If only there were Growlers in the ANG...

RUFiO,

I have some friends doing the whole NUKE/NUPOC thing right now (some in NY on sub track, some in DC doing engineering) - I've thought about it but don't think it's for me. I feel like if I wanted to do subs I'd rather be in a crypto DIRSUP role than actual crew. And doing the engineering or teaching thing just feels kind of like I'd basically be doing a civilian job with a uniform. Open to alternatives and happy to discuss further, but I think my mind is already made up on that one.

Thanks again for the responses and information. This forum has been immensely informative over the years as I've gone back and forth!

BigRed389

None
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on the site but hadn't been able to find anything related to my specific question (yes, did use the search function) so I figured I'd give the posting thing a try. Apologies in advance for the terrible structure of this question - I'm finding it hard boiling down 22 years of thoughts into a few paragraphs.

BLUF: if I am interested in electronic warfare, SIGINT, aviation, and strategy, does crypto offer more interesting/fun opportunities than Aviation?

Originally, the plan was to go to the Academy and branch Aviation. I wound up going to a civilian university and am doing a joint 5-year BS/MS in aerospace engineering. Along the way, I got really involved in research related to electronic warfare, SIGINT, and military strategy. Some mentors (Aviation and Intel folks) suggested that I might be unhappy or frustrated with the Aviation community compared to Crypto. Specifically, they cited the long training pipeline, lack of flying hours, maintenance problems, lack of platform guarantee, lack of big picture, service obligation (they said it could get boring), etc.

I took the ASTB (64 9/8/8) and my recruiter said I would likely be competitive for an Aviation slot. But, I don't want to apply and then turn it down. I'm also exploring some opportunities to fly in the ANG, but I like the Navy more (for obvious reasons, I think).

Right now I'm planning on working for around one or two years (good opportunity came up) and then going into the service. I am looking for information or perspectives related to this dilemma. I'd be particularly interested in speaking to people who have been involved in both communities.

Thanks!

Short term, with aviation, you have a pretty good idea of how your job will align to your stated interests.
And if you're a FO, you're going to be responsible for operating some type of airborne 'trons, regardless of platform.

Going Crypto, it's a lot more open ended. This can be both a good or bad thing.
I don't really know what the shore NIOC stuff entails, but I've met a few IWO's (CWO's now) that only spoke well of it because it was better than being on sea duty.
While doing a tour with the Fleet, you could also end up as ship's company on a DDG...where you get to stare out a window for hours on end as you drive a ship.
I know a guy who went into one of those "go work at Ft Meade" jobs who seems to find it interesting.

Long term factors, you age out of being eligible to fly a lot faster than you do to go Crypto.
And once commissioned, you can reasonably try to go from Aviation to the IDC...you really can't the other way around.

Really, unless you know there are specific things you want to do starting out in a Restricted Line or Staff community, I'd recommend to anyone to go URL first.

Renegade One

None
Really, unless you know there are specific things you want to do starting out in a Restricted Line or Staff community, I'd recommend to anyone to go URL first.
This. You'll never really understand those you support unless you've been there.