• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Major

Status
Not open for further replies.

summy22

I would like to obtain an NROTC scholarship and also major in aviation as a professional pilot. I'm not sure exactly how I can do this. I think if I obtain a non technical scholarship, I will be able to major as a professional pilot. Is there a certain college I should go to to increase my chances. Please give me any more information you can about my desire to do NROTC and major in aviation, and then become a pilot in the navy.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I know St. Louis University will let you major in aviation, but they only have an Air Force ROTC program. Maybe you could see if there is a nearby NROTC unit that you could enroll in crosstown (go to SLU, and do NROTC at another school)

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

klray77

I hear that there is an NROTC unit at Embry Riddle now. (That may be bad gouge.) I also know that Auburn and Ohio State University offer professional pilot majors. I'm sure these are not the only universities with NROTC units that do, so look around. I believe that the way it would work is that the scholarship will pay for your tuition in full, but you will be responsible for all charges associated with actually flying. This may be an amount that you could get a loan for or talk to any rich uncles you might have for the funds.

A couple of things to keep in mind. I don't think that having all of the experience flying that you would get in school would give you that much of an edge for getting selected for flight school in the Navy. Also, should you get into flight school, all of your peers will be wearing the same wings that you will at the end. Except they won't have had to pay all that money that you had to pay in college. That being said, as long as you can maintain a high GPA and perform well in your NROTC unit, go for it.

thepilot33

I graduated from Embry Riddle in Dec of 2002 and they were in the middle of renovating a huge building for all of the ROTC detachments. The Navy was going to be one of the new branches that were added. Call the Embry Riddle operator at 386-226-6000 and ask them to transfer you to the Navy detachment. They will answer any questions of yours, if they are there. Many of my friends were on scholarships for the AF ROTC and were in non-technical majors (aeronautical science). Whether that is possible with the Navy, I do not know.

Shaggy

Originally posted by thepilot33
I graduated from Embry Riddle in Dec of 2002 and they were in the middle of renovating a huge building for all of the ROTC detachments. The Navy was going to be one of the new branches that were added. Call the Embry Riddle operator at 386-226-6000 and ask them to transfer you to the Navy detachment. They will answer any questions of yours, if they are there. Many of my friends were on scholarships for the AF ROTC and were in non-technical majors (aeronautical science). Whether that is possible with the Navy, I do not know.

Is that the big building across the road with all the military flags?

As far as erau nrotc it is the making and has been unofficially activated. So call and ask for some names.

Embry Riddle student, Daytona campus - delayed entry for Marine Corps enlistment (f18 mechanic in reserves until college ends) - after officership hopefully a flight block

beau

Hey Summy,

I just graduated from The University of Oklahoma with a Bachalor of Science in Aviation, Professional Pilot. With this degree I obtained all of my civilian ratings and even added a Turbine and High altitude sign off. OU also has an NROTC program which will pay for all you flight classes if you are on scholarship. If you are not on scholarship, join the program anyway, keep your grades up, and be a model Midshipmen and I promise you will get a three year scholarship! Did I mention that OU has a great Football
football_125.gif
and Basketball team most every year? Of course the only real drawback is the fact that you are in Oklahoma
cowboy_125.gif
(where the wind comes blowing down the plain), of course with all the Beautifull half naked women
sonar_125.gif
walking around who gives a crap
thumbup_125.gif
. O, and that low octane beer
censored_125.gif
and the whole bible belt thing
angel_125.gif
! I personally think that if you want an Aviation Degree and a well rounded College experience go to OU. Check into it! Let me know if you want any more inside info!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

lunar

i've spoken upfront to colonels in the air force about this question and the resounding answer is choice of major is about as influential in whether you get a pilot slot as is you choice of grub at the cafetaria - null. if it qualifies for rotc scholarship, it qualifies pilot - tho gpa is typically adjusted for engineering majors when considering slots.

and i'm not sure how the navy takes to it, but the air force really couldn't care less if you know how to fly before you go in rotc. they'll put you in some cessnas first, make sure you're not a constant puke hazard, then maybe give you a few joyrides in the back of an f-15/16. but the point is, the air force doesn't care if you have a ppl or not. i recommend you visit an air force det and ask a col up front. this is what he'll tell you. you'll have a little easier time at flight school cause you'll already know how all the radio chat, but that's it. if you still want aviation, hey, it's what you want and that's fine. but keep in mind you may miss the opportunity to make yourself more well rounded by skipping up on a political sci, history or int'l relations degree... and you'll still fly anyway, assuming you get the slot.

finally, purdue uni has a nrotc det and an aviation program. they even have their own on campus airport. the problem tho is it's stuck in the corn country usa. not so bad tho considering it has over 40,000 students. depends on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.