• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Contract Chances

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
I have a question regarding my chances of getting an air contract. I submitted my aviation package to Headquarters Marine Corps for approval/disapproval this past October with 5,7,6 as my ASTB scores and a 3.9 GPA. I'm a staff sergeant with an infantry background and in my final year of college on the MECEP program. From what I've been told the Marine Corps is in need of pilots but I don't know how true/untrue that is, anyone with some recent knowledge that can speak to that piece would also be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone who has received recently your opinion on my chances would be greatly appreciated as well, have a great day, semper fi!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the specificity, I don't know how the process goes at all. Is that the going rate for all packages that get submitted or are you referencing me and my scores specifically?
Sorry young man, it is a standing joke around here. The answer to every question that can't be answered is 42%.

There are multiple factors that go into pilot production and selection is just the start. No one, not even the guy that runs the board for the Corps knows your chances until they sit down and see the numbers. No board is like the others. You appear to have a strong background, your scores are solid, and you seem to have a good attitude. Being a Marine (I was one a million years ago) always means being a Marine first - not an aviator. That is the one thing you should always keep in your mind - and I am serious - it is not just some Oooohrah stuff.

To be honest I think you are in a good spot. Do your work, do your duty, and the rest will sort itself out.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
Sorry young man, it is a standing joke around here. The answer to every question that can't be answered is 42%.

There are multiple factors that go into pilot production and selection is just the start. No one, not even the guy that runs the board for the Corps knows your chances until they sit down and see the numbers. No board is like the others. You appear to have a strong background, your scores are solid, and you seem to have a good attitude. Being a Marine (I was one a million years ago) always means being a Marine first - not an aviator. That is the one thing you should always keep in your mind - and I am serious - it is not just some Oooohrah stuff.

To be honest I think you are in a good spot. Do your work, do your duty, and the rest will sort itself out.
Haha, thanks for the info on the 42% thing, didn't know that but I'll probably use that in the future. I appreciate the nuanced take, I'll be happy whatever I end up doing upon commissioning, obviously I want to fly but at the end of the day it's out of my hands at this point. Thanks again

RoarkJr.

Haha, thanks for the info on the 42% thing, didn't know that but I'll probably use that in the future. I appreciate the nuanced take, I'll be happy whatever I end up doing upon commissioning, obviously I want to fly but at the end of the day it's out of my hands at this point. Thanks again
There’s no way to be 100% sure until you get awarded the guarantee but as of a few years ago, as long as your ASTB, medical, and any waivers are taken care of, there’s no reason you shouldn’t get it. I wouldn’t sweat it at all and would go as far as saying you can probably consider it had. I know dudes well beyond the age limit who got waivers, one got a single pipeline waiver, another was an mortarman combat vet with a Purple Heart who needed a boatload of waivers.

If you don’t get it, it was probably something outside of your control anyway.