• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Aviation board non-select. What am I missing?

Chodeward

I was non-selected on the May aviation board, and I feel like my recruiter may be buttering me up a bit too much. Keeps saying he's surprised that I wasn't selected, that I should 100% reapply (and I most likely will), but I can't help but feel he's overexaggerating my level of qualification in order to keep me interested. He also said I am "tied for the best package he's ever seen" which I 100% don't buy.

Here's the relevant info from my application:

3.25 GPA in Aeronautics

250 flight hours, commercial pilot's license with instrument rating

OAR/Aviation scores: 54 6,6,5 (as far as ive been told the OAR is great, and aviation scores are on the high end of average)

I am excited and committed to a potential career in the Navy, but I keep receiving many mixed signals. Because of this I am looking for a new perspective, as I feel my recruiter is hyping me up too much, or not letting me in on all the details.

I don't know your age, but that could be taken into account as well. Take a look at the May Aviation Board thread on this site, there's a spreadsheet that shows who was selected with their scores, degrees, GPAs, things like that so you can compare yourself to them. Your OAR is respectable but not incredible. Your AQR, PFAR and FOFAR are all on the lower end of those who were selected. Take a look around the forum for this.

Dboom85

Banned
I was non-selected on the May aviation board, and I feel like my recruiter may be buttering me up a bit too much. Keeps saying he's surprised that I wasn't selected, that I should 100% reapply (and I most likely will), but I can't help but feel he's overexaggerating my level of qualification in order to keep me interested. He also said I am "tied for the best package he's ever seen" which I 100% don't buy.

3.25 GPA in Aeronautics

OAR/Aviation scores: 54 6,6,5 (as far as ive been told the OAR is great, and aviation scores are on the high end of average)

I am excited and committed to a potential career in the Navy, but I keep receiving many mixed signals. Because of this I am looking for a new perspective, as I feel my recruiter is hyping me up too much, or not letting me in on all the details.
Here’s the excel sheet that tracked the last board. I would say your scores are average and below average for selects. the PFAR is what matters the most for SNA.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

3.25 GPA in Aeronautics

I would be surprised if you had been selected, your scores are on the low side, putting money on a person getting selected with a 6 for PFAR is a bet that I would never take.

OptionsDollaraire

I don't know your age, but that could be taken into account as well. Take a look at the May Aviation Board thread on this site, there's a spreadsheet that shows who was selected with their scores, degrees, GPAs, things like that so you can compare yourself to them. Your OAR is respectable but not incredible. Your AQR, PFAR and FOFAR are all on the lower end of those who were selected. Take a look around the forum for this.
When you say age taken into account, what do you mean?

Maze_soba

When you say age taken into account, what do you mean?
There's a pretty decent correlation between age of applicant and prorec-y/n. At least based on data available on the various spreadsheets, the older you are, the less likely it is to get recommended.
I did a data-oriented writeup somewhere in the May board thread last December ish if you want to look through my post history. I'll also be writing up some analysis on the updated ML model in the next few weeks as well, and can run your scores through the prediction algo if you want to PM me your stats.

WorldWar33.3

3.25 GPA in Aeronautics

Yeah dude, I'd take the ASTB again if I were you. You still have time (and hopefully 2 more tries).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Perhaps it's true he just hasn't seen that many packages.

I feel there are some rookie and non rookie officer recruiters who still feel those boards are a “whole person concept”. I’m not saying don’t blow off the rest of the application if you ace the ASTB, but the exam remains a big weight in terms of consideration.

exNavyOffRec

I feel there are some rookie and non rookie officer recruiters who still feel those boards are a “whole person concept”. I’m not saying don’t blow off the rest of the application if you ace the ASTB, but the exam remains a big weight in terms of consideration.
Whole person concept doesn't get you through flight school and doesn't get you through nuke school.