• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AV geeks and their cameras

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Neighborhood watch is a good way to put it. Instead of the police being tied up "chasing" plane spotters away they work with them to establish areas for them to watch planes and in return the spotters inform the police of anything suspicious that they might see. These folks are at the airport frequently so they would theoretically be able to notice something out of the ordinary. There is a website here in Cleveland that is trying to establish something like this at KCLE.

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
I've had spotters call the FBO I work at many times and ask "when will the hornets be there" hours before the scheduled arrival time. As employees we know they are coming because the squadron has called to inform us beforehand. My question is how would they know 4 hornets would be flying in from Miramar, Lemoore, etc? These flights aren't on flightaware and other sites. Do spotters at different airports have a network to share information (departures, arrivals, etc)?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've had spotters call the FBO I work at many times and ask "when will the hornets be there" hours before the scheduled arrival time. As employees we know they are coming because the squadron has called to inform us beforehand. My question is how would they know 4 hornets would be flying in from Miramar, Lemoore, etc? These flights aren't on flightaware and other sites. Do spotters at different airports have a network to share information (departures, arrivals, etc)?

I remember taking a Hornet up to Long Beach during a RAG weekend cross country from Miramar (in which I flew a chuck up by myself, got no X's, and partied from the westin all weekend......probably never going to happen again these days)........when we got all chocked up, there was literally a flock of plane spotters waiting in the FBO to chat, and come out and shoot pics of the jets. That sunday when we left, they were back again, lining the freeway offramp that has a view of the runway. Managed to actually snag some pics of myself departing off one of their forums just by googling it. Real nice people, and it was cool showing their little kids around......maybe there will be some future Naval Aviators out there now :)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

We carry the DoD fuel contract at the FBO I'm at so we get all the Mil traffic that comes through CLE. (OK - USED to come through...) I don't think we've ever had anyone call and ask when something is showing up. We had three Rhinos from 31 in last year for a couple of flyovers that brought a few folks out. Most interesting were the 2 Canadian Hornets that showed up in the middle of a snow storm this past February. Actually had to de-ice them when they left.

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
I remember taking a Hornet up to Long Beach during a RAG weekend cross country from Miramar (in which I flew a chuck up by myself, got no X's, and partied from the westin all weekend......probably never going to happen again these days)........when we got all chocked up, there was literally a flock of plane spotters waiting in the FBO to chat, and come out and shoot pics of the jets. That sunday when we left, they were back again, lining the freeway offramp that has a view of the runway. Managed to actually snag some pics of myself departing off one of their forums just by googling it. Real nice people, and it was cool showing their little kids around......maybe there will be some future Naval Aviators out there now :)
I'm guessing the FBO was Signature? They are very nice people and they had no problem leaving the ramp once we asked them to (LGB security likes to ramp check for security badges A LOT!). I was just amazed at the "inside" information they had in regards to the scheduled arrival of hornets. I love browsing through their photographs on airliners.net and other similar websites.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm guessing the FBO was Signature? They are very nice people and they had no problem leaving the ramp once we asked them to (LGB security likes to ramp check for security badges A LOT!). I was just amazed at the "inside" information they had in regards to the scheduled arrival of hornets. I love browsing through their photographs on airliners.net and other similar websites.

Yeah I think it was signature. The one on the west side of the field IIRC. We had like 4 hornets and 4 F-5's up there for that weekend, so I think it was pretty noticeable for the locals.