• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP Multi written done before the deadline, what next?

SenorDan

pilot
I've got next summer to get the ATP practical done before the 2 year deadline. I've met all of the prerequisites to get a ATP restricted except the 50 hr of multi-engine time. I'm on my DIFDEN tour and am shopping around for flight schools to get my commercial multi-engine add-on.
The flight school I'm looking at accepts the GI Bill but that is enough to get the rating (15-20 hrs) the rest (30-35 hrs) will have to be out of pocket. What are your experiences in getting your ATP practical done? Any gotchas? Any insight from those that are on a similar path would be appreciated!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Man, not sure why you'd need a commercial multi-engine add on. I'm pretty sure all you need is just a commercial license with instrument rating as a prerequisite for getting an ATP. Doesn't matter whether it's single or multi engine commercial.

As for your ATP....one thing to consider is the ability to get half your multi-engine time in a sim. A couple Harrier buddies of mine, now Delta & United pilots, got caught up in this new 50 muti-engine hr ATP thing and found a company in Miami that got them a 737 type rating while getting 25 hours in the sim. They had to rent a small multi engine airplane to get their other 25 hours. They were able to use their GI Bill but not sure at what cost. I can find out the details though.

S/F

ChuckM

pilot
I've got next summer to get the ATP practical done before the 2 year deadline. I've met all of the prerequisites to get a ATP restricted except the 50 hr of multi-engine time. I'm on my DIFDEN tour and am shopping around for flight schools to get my commercial multi-engine add-on.
The flight school I'm looking at accepts the GI Bill but that is enough to get the rating (15-20 hrs) the rest (30-35 hrs) will have to be out of pocket. What are your experiences in getting your ATP practical done? Any gotchas? Any insight from those that are on a similar path would be appreciated!

I would send you to the "headed to the Majors" thread. Lots of answers in there. I'm a helo guy, but am in a similar boat with some ideas for you. 1st thing is max out mil comp ratings. Get what you can for free.

Beyond that, build time doing something with ROI, like MEI. With CFI/MEI, your hours come free and you get to hook friends up with instruction at cost. Win/win.

I would also recomend going back for Liberty university's undergrad aviation program. Your GI bill gos WAY further in a college setting.

Do some homework in that direction and feel free to PM me with questions.

If you are in FL, I can get you multi time @~250 wet(a really good price in a Seneca I) and my instruction 10/hr to cover the insurance I carry etc. I would be amazed if anyone can match that. I would even gladly take a week or two off if you want to travel and hammer out all your time. I will be moving to SanDiego in January/Feb and provided we find a plane to rent could help you out there.