• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB vs. AFOQT

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor44

Greetings to all of you.
I was just wondering if anyone knows how the two tests compare to each other? Is one longer than the other? Are there many similar type questions etc. The reason I ask is that I plan to take both of them this summer. I graduate May 18th and will begin my prep for both after that.

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The AFOQT is much harder. It was like getting kicked in the N*t's. It took about 4 hours or so. The ASTB was a joke compared to the AFOQT.

Dave

thor44

So how long does the ASTB take? Why is it so much easier? Is it the length? Dificulty of the questions? More math etc?

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

kevin

i dont remember how long the ASTB took but it couldnt have been over three hours. its mostly common sense stuff and not real difficult. the afoqt has shorter sections but more of them. they have mazes and stuff that really arent difficult but they test your ability to work under serious time constraints. i did really well on the astb and struggled to finish the afoqt within the time limits. granted i took the afoqt about 4 years ago and the astb recently.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
I've taken both of the tests within the past year. The AFOQT really is much harder and a lot longer. It's something like 18 subsections, but each one is very specific in what it's testing. Different from the ASTB where math and verbal are all kind of scattered about together. Also, if you plan to apply for a rated position (pilot or nav) in the AF, you'll have to take the BAT, which is a really ghetto video game. To add to what Kevin said, the AFOQT is much more of test of your ability to work fast and accurately. There simply is not enough time to finish some sections, but how much you finish and how accurate you are is important. Good luck on both tests.

perchul

With that being said I think you should keep in mind that it won't matter to much as to which is harder because while the ASTB is easier its not just easier for you...just think bell curve

Tolerance only benefits the weak

Status
Not open for further replies.