• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB test scores and pilot selection

ajudge

I recently took the ASTB test. I scored a 5/6/6. Im going to be a Junior In college with a 3.5 gpa in Commercial aviation.
On the physical, I did 70 push ups, 80 sit ups and the 1.5 mi run in 9:44..My eyes are good and all checks out ok. With that information, should i think about retaking the astb

UF_ME

Uh-oh...a thread smelling of "what are my chances?" with no question

Nice knowing you ajudge

ajudge

Ummm..yea i do have a question...."should i take the astb over again?"...yea thats the question so if you cant figure that one out, it was nice knowing YOU UF_ME!!

UF_ME

A word of advice from one wanna-be to another... DON'T ASK if you competitive on this forum it will not end well

There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum but just no crystal ball...the biggest thing that I have learned here is that if you want to find out if your competitve send you package in and wait for an answer

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I recently took the ASTB test. I scored a 5/6/6. Im going to be a Junior In college with a 3.5 gpa in Commercial aviation.
On the physical, I did 70 push ups, 80 sit ups and the 1.5 mi run in 9:44..My eyes are good and all checks out ok. With that information, should i think about retaking the astb

What did you get on the OAR portion of the test. You've got a solid GPA and good PT scores. Do you think you can do better on the ASTB? Personally I'd submit the package and be studying to take it again if you need to. But I will say that it seems like the competition has been stiffer lately so it might benefit you to take it again anyways if you believe that you can substantially improve your scores.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
i would definitely think about taking the astb again, just study, study, study...i think your pft is pretty solid, especially the run. good luck

mark11

I was under the impression that the Navy didn't look at ones PFT scores for selection. Is it that the PFT isn't required when you submit but they will take it into consideration if it's there? I could sure use the boost.

AztecLax02

Based upon what is going on in the aviation pipeline, especially with pilots, I wouldn’t be surprised if the boards are just selecting fewer aviators for the time being, thus allowing the Board to be more selective. With that being said, when I applied I thought that I was an average applicant in terms of GPA and ASTB scores with a 3.4 and a 55 7/8/8. I was very fortunate to be selected for pilot on my first go around. When I got to OCS I asked around a bit I learned that out of all the pilots and FO's in my class I had the highest ASTB scores and I was near the top in GPA. The bottom line is... THERE IS NO RHYME OR REASON TO WHO GETS SELECTED, just jump through the application process hoops and pray.

My opinion is that your LOR's and Personal Statement carry a ton of weight, maybe as much as ASTB and GPA. Make sure those parts of your package are top notch.

ajudge - Try to go BDCP, its a good deal from what I hear if you can still apply being a junior in college.

I believe PFA scores are generally not included in your package because it’s not a requirement for submitting one, eventually you need it to get the go ahead from NAMI though. Your workout routine is included on the Officer Application, but I am not sure how much the board really looks at that.

mark11

Interesting info on where you stood with everyone else at ocs. When did you go? Do you recall the lowest gpa?

AztecLax02

I was up there in GPA out of the aviators. I dont really know how I stacked up in the class as a whole, but probably not that high considering there were a ton of SUB NUKEs in my class. I graduated OCS about 6 weeks ago. I would say the average GPA for an aviator out of my class was probably around a 3.1 to 3.2 with a 50 6/6/6 on the ASTB. The lowest I believe I heard was a 2.8 or so, but I can't be certain.

mark11

v

Interesting indeed, makes me feel like I have a chance to be more competative than I thought. Congratulations on the commission, on your way to living the dream. Good for you man.