• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB study books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to study for the ASTB and I was wondering if anyone knows of some good study books. I have the ARCO "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" one and I was just wondering if there were any others. Thanks!
bouncy_125.gif

jlinscott

The book you got was the one that I had found to be the best for preparing (reviewing) for the test. However, I only used the practice tests to get an idea of what the ASTB was going to be like.
I had bought another book by ARCO called Officer candidate tests, but it only covered the math, english, and mechanical portions of the test (and it didn't really represent the test very well).
Summary, I think the book you have is the best available. However, do a search on this site for more.

Hope this helps,
Jason Linscott

BYSun

Hi Sarah,

Personally I used both the Arco MFAT book and the Arco "Officer candidate tests" book. In my experience, the MFAT book was *closer* to the acutal test, but was rife with erroneous answers to their own questions. This was confirmed by a friend of mine who tutors tests for a living when he mentioned that the ARCO books generally suck. But thats not to say you shouldnt use them. Just make certain you undetstand the problems completely and can verify your answers. The "Officer candidate tests" book was more accurate with providing the proper answers, but did not mirror the test as well.
BUT...if you scroll up and click on the "forums menu" menu and select "File Lister" you will find the "Gouge" file. Go to page four and you will find great info on the ASTB test which should help you considerably.

Good luck with the test.

BTW what are you applying for?

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

I am going to apply for NFO after this summer! :) I'm excited! I'm currently a junior in college and I'm doing an internship in DC this summer so I'm waiting untill after that to apply because I am hopeing to get some good letters of recomendation there. But I'm takeing the ASTB right after this semester ends, right before I go to DC.

BYSun

Good for you...I just accepted a NFO slot myself and head off for OCS in October. That you want to take the test after the summer will allow you time to study and prepare. As you may know, the questions are not particularly difficult, but the time crush is tougher than any I faced at my university. Letters of rec will certainly be a heavy factor as well so it is good you are taking time to find good LORs.

DC huh?...hmmmm bring your mace and stay out of scandals. :>

Good luck

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.