• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB scores...are there fewer of them?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have no doubt the answer is somewhere in here, but indulge me...

For Navy OCS applicants (or even ROTC/Academy), did the ASTB scores get pared down? I was looking at someone's app and they only had 3 (plus the OAR) scores listed: Pilot, NFO, and <something else I'm forgetting>. Is there no longer an aperception or bio set of scores? Just curious if there's more than what goes onto a board app.

exNavyOffRec

PFAR, FOFAR, AQR, and OAR

I am not sure when they started but the current round is in version 6, 7, 8 and the version 3, 4, 5 were in effect for several years before that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks. When I took it, it was 6 numbers (with no OAR for us ROTC dudes). I'm not arguing that it's a loss, but I'm surprised they did away with the aperception portion. Hopefully they realized how useless that was to test for.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So based off of that, I guess they take the various aviation related scores and then jam them into one Pilot (or NFO) score that's the PFAR (or FOFAR)? Just trying to understand the difference from what I took, which yielded 6 scores, 5 of which seem to be combined now (PFAR, FOFAR, PBM, Bio, and something I'm forgetting).

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
So based off of that, I guess they take the various aviation related scores and then jam them into one Pilot (or NFO) score that's the PFAR (or FOFAR)? Just trying to understand the difference from what I took, which yielded 6 scores, 5 of which seem to be combined now (PFAR, FOFAR, PBM, Bio, and something I'm forgetting).

This is how the scores are broken down:

Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Info and Spatial Apperception Tests.

Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is how the scores are broken down:

Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Info and Spatial Apperception Tests.

Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

Yes, I get that. Rufio's link spells that out. However, there's additional testing done (sub-sections) that appear to be jammed into one score now (which is what I'm confirming). There used to be 6 scores given when I took it. It looks like (again, trying to confirm) that the bio and aperception part are now part of the overall PFAR (or FOFAR) score.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yes, I get that. Rufio's link spells that out. However, there's additional testing done (sub-sections) that appear to be jammed into one score now (which is what I'm confirming). There used to be 6 scores given when I took it. It looks like (again, trying to confirm) that the bio and aperception part are now part of the overall PFAR (or FOFAR) score.

Yes, that was the impression I got when I took it. Besides the joystick portion, the aviation history, and the UAV, there was a personality test and a background questionnaire that are included in the ASTB-E portion. They don't generate their own scores but they somehow factor into the other three scores, if I had to guess it would be something about how "aeronautically adapted" an applicant is.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So it's a fancy computer test now? Man, I had to take it all with a paper and pencil while the accessions-O stood over us with a stopwatch. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow.