• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB score question. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokescreen

Hey spidrwmm... your OAR is the number you got correct on the math/verbal plus the number correct on the mechanical comprehension. Theses add up for a raw score which is then converted to a different number some how. Anyway currently you need a converted raw of 35 just to qualify for OCS. Hope this answers your question... Good luck to ya.

Edited by - Smokescreen on 08/21/2001 01:54:58

Edited by - Smokescreen on 08/21/2001 01:55:32

spidrwmn

Well, I am taking the ASTB for the first time on Fri ( Sept 7) and I was wondering: How long do you have to wait for the scores? I am hoping to go SWO so all I really need to be concerned with is the OAR score, right? Thanks!

- spider

Dave Shutter

Technically that's all you need is the MVT/ MC if your not interested in aviation. But you will be strongly encouraged to take all the tests. It's up to you of course. I was told however that the aviation tests are needed for Intel (???) so you may want to keep that door open if that's true. From what I heard in the past few mths is that SWO has been extremely competetive lately, it got closed out pretty early this FY. This year for example I was told that a ton of BDCP people graduated and went straight into SWO, seems most obligated grads these days aren't chomping at the bit to do 8+ yrs in aviation like they were in the past, and no wants to sit behind a desk, so off to SWO they've been going in droves. Just what I was told though, check with Steve and good luck on the 7'th.

(OC) Shutter SNA, 56 days to poopie week!

spidrwmn

Thanks for the heads up Dave!
I hope to have my application completed by the end of the semester, so hopfully it there will still be a few spots open ( I want to do BDCP because I will not graduate until 2003).
I am putting NFO and Intel as my other choices, so I am definetly taking the entire test. Any last minute suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

- spider

Jeff

Just in refrence to how long it takes for your scores:
Your recruiter should be able to tell you withinin a few days. Mine actually let me know the next day. However, the official scores take a few weeks, but they aren't needed to send your package in.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Dave Shutter

Each of the four times I took my test it took 5 minutes to grade. They graded the scantron on the spot with a plastic overlay, MVT/MC takes a few seconds to grade and they have to score it to see if you can take the Aviation tests. The BI is a bitch to score because every answer gets a pt. value apparently. I say this because I peeked over my proc's shoulder as he graded mine the last time and instead of one circle over the dots for the one correct answer, every answer had a circle over it and a line that pointed to a number value. These magic numbers were put into the computer and then it spit out my new BI score. This is all just my observation though. BUT yes your grades aren't official until they get graded in P-cola by CNATRA and then they go into a computer to be pulled later by the board. If your rec's don't give you your grades that same day then it's something they do on their own (or maybe my guys are breaking some important rule?!) because me and everyone I ever tested with found out all our scores right away.

(OC) Shutter SNA, 56 days to poopie week!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/02/2001 01:02:38

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
spidrwmn,

Be careful. If you put NFO on your application packet and pass the test and physical you will probably be an nfo (99.9%). It doesnt matter if its your 1st or 3rd choice. I was told this by some very reliable recruiters. Also the way my bi was scored was a little different from OC Shutters. I was told you start off with a certain number of points say 17. Two clear answer sheets are put over the top (not at the same time) one sheet is for correct or positive answers, while the other is for incorrect or wrong answers. You take the orig 17 then add the diff between the correct and incorrect. I believe a score of 30 something is needed to get a score of 4 for the pilot bio. Same procedure goes for the nfo bio. I took the whole test at once with a 10 min break halfway through. Took about 1 1/2 hours start to finish and was graded right then. Also look through the ASTB studyguide section of this site as it has some great advice.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry,

You need to get 30 something points overall. These points will then be assigned a score from 1-8. You need a score of 4 for pilot and 3 for nfo. There is a memo out ot recruiters for BDCP that will allow a tester to get a one point waiver for the nfo bio. so if you score a 2, 1 point waivers are available to bring your score up to a 3. Hope this is making some sorta sense to you. Just study and look over some advice on this site and you should be fine.

Dave

vicki

My rec' did the same thing Dave's did and graded it right away with the plastic overlay thingamajig. Good luck!

spidrwmn

Thanks for all the help!! I hope I get my scores back on the same day, too.
Of course that brings up a good question: if I pass everything ( test, physical,etc) and get NFO, can I change my designator later? Or would I have to re apply ?? Thanks!

- spider

Becky

Dave and others

I have my test this week too. For the spacial part of the test is it just the photos that are included in that or is there more to it? How many right do you need for that part of the test? Thanks for the insight guys/gals..I'm excited to take it, but really don't know what to expect. Any info you can give would be VERY helpful!! Thanks again!

-Becky

Smokescreen

For the Spacial portion of the test, look at ARCO Military Flight Apptitude for a general look at what you'll see. While the actual test is alittle more confusing, you still get the basic idea of what to do.

as for a trick, look at the picture that's presented. Then imagine an X through the picture. If the horizon is above the point of intersection of the imaginary X then the aircraft is nose down or nose up if the horizon is below the the point of intersection. I used this trick and got 30 out of 37 correct.The more you get right, the more you help your chances of getting Pilot or NFO.

As for any other insight, get the ARCO book mentioned for the Spatical Apprectiation, then get the Marine Corp ASTB study guide for the rest of it and you'll be fine.

good luck to ya

Smoke

[/quote]

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Becky,

The test is pretty straight forward esp. the math verbal and mechanical comprehension parts. Just look over the examples in the arco study guide. Pay close attention to the spatial and aviation/nautical sections. These are very important for pilot/nfo. Look in the Miscellaneos section of this forum and then read my entry on page 5 of the ASTB and ARCO study book topic for some info on the bi. Good Luck

Dave

Tahoe

Becky,

Listen to these guys...they are all right! I used the USMC studyguide and did rather well:
AQR:5, FAR:7, BI:6. I owe those scores to the various people who gave me great gouge on this site. If you want a copy of the studyguide send me an e-mail. I'll try to get it to you before OCS. Best of luck.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.