• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Prep Test Gouge Questions

How do you solve questions
#29 What is the closest approximation to (0.0010197)(5001)(42.974)
#34 for all real numbers x and y, x*y = y(x+1)
if -4*j = -6, then j=

I feel like they're easy but im just missing something...

alaurin

All day, every day!
How do you solve questions
#29 What is the closest approximation to (0.0010197)(5001)(42.974)
#34 for all real numbers x and y, x*y = y(x+1)
if -4*j = -6, then j=

I feel like they're easy but im just missing something...

#29- 0.0010197 approximates to .001=1/1000. 5001 approximates to 5000. 42.974 approximates to 43.
5000 x 1/1000= 5. 5x43= 215.

Couldn't figure out #34 either. Going solely off of the second formula provided, j should be -6/-4=3/2, but the studyguide lists it as 2.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Here's a question to add to the pile:
Simplify: 2+2logx+(2/3) log y

I get 2+log (x^2/ y^(2/3)), the solution is supposed to be log(100x^2/y^(2/3)). Anyone?

KBayDog

23422988.jpg

Renegade One

None
I say one or two examples of how to "decompose" a problem is enough…and it's been done before…several times. Let's not all answer every question on the exam for those that need to pass it on their own. Fair?

Renegade One

None
Not really…we just want YOU to be able to answer it and kinda sorta understand why you chose the answer you chose. Or not.
The test is not a form of "mindless hazing"…it's a test. Only you can take it for yourself. Some of the questions may be much like the "Kobayashi Maru Scenario"…no right answer…or you might be the first one to figure it out.

alaurin

All day, every day!
It's not really too hard of a test, there's just a lot of material and the high stakes of this- I want to pass this test badly because I want to serve in the Navy and have a job that actually pays- make it a stressful test. Thanks for reminding me- it doesn't really help anybody if I do their work for them.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
I took two versions of the test. Form 4 and 3. Scored a 9/9/9 on form 3 and there were no questions like this on the exam so don't sweat it. Study instead stuff like (Find the cubed root of #<-- forget the number) "hint hint", and word questions such as: It takes 4 people an hour and 30 minutes to make 4 pizzas. How long would it take 6 people to make 6 pizzas? Lastly one of the ones that tripped me up went something like this: If it takes 6 people 10 hours to stack a certain amount of blocks and they start at 11am, but at 5pm one person is added every hour, how long will it take to complete the job?

I hope this helps you, as its the word problems that really chew up the time I found. You will be able to do all of the basic math problems with ease if you have been using the correct study material. If you can't solve a problem right away, I mean RIGHT AWAY then skip it, do all the easy ones and come back to it at the end. You will have a minute or two to use solely on the problem without having to worry about other problems to focus on afterwards.

Good Luck

I took two versions of the test. Form 4 and 3. Scored a 9/9/9 on form 3 and there were no questions like this on the exam so don't sweat it. Study instead stuff like (Find the cubed root of #<-- forget the number) "hint hint", and word questions such as: It takes 4 people an hour and 30 minutes to make 4 pizzas. How long would it take 6 people to make 6 pizzas? Lastly one of the ones that tripped me up went something like this: If it takes 6 people 10 hours to stack a certain amount of blocks and they start at 11am, but at 5pm one person is added every hour, how long will it take to complete the job?

I hope this helps you, as its the word problems that really chew up the time I found. You will be able to do all of the basic math problems with ease if you have been using the correct study material. If you can't solve a problem right away, I mean RIGHT AWAY then skip it, do all the easy ones and come back to it at the end. You will have a minute or two to use solely on the problem without having to worry about other problems to focus on afterwards.

Good Luck

I feel rather dumb right now, but this pizza question is messing with me head. What's the answer?

alaurin

All day, every day!
You have to break it down to rate of pizza making/work. Try taking it to how long it makes 1 person to make 1 pizza first.

SH4D0W

(<-- Realizes these questions are from months ago, but I figured I'd post)

if -4*j = -6, then j=
Is also written as -4J = - 6
So, J = (-6) / (-4)
J = 1.5

It takes 4 people an hour and 30 minutes to make 4 pizzas. How long would it take 6 people to make 6 pizzas?
(I get so frustrated on this one...please correct if I am wrong):

People Time Product
4 90 4
2 45 2
1 22.5 1

6 X 6
1 22.5 1
2 45 2
3 67.5 3
4 90 4
5 112.5 5
6 135 6

Therefore, it would take 6 people 135mins to make 6 pies. But what if it's an odd number of people versus and even number? Say, 2 people can make 6 pies in 45mins. How long will it take 3 peoples to make 12 pies? When I solve for that question I get, it would take 3 people 90mins to make 12 pies...Thoughts?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
What in the hell? My brain just exploded if these are ASTB prep question. I do not recall anything like these questions when I took the test, but that was a few years ago.

I vote for the days of: "Johnny has eleven apples. He eats seven apples. What does Johnny have left?"

Answer - Diarrhea obviously.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
What in the hell? My brain just exploded if these are ASTB prep question. I do not recall anything like these questions when I took the test, but that was a few years ago.

I vote for the days of: "Johnny has eleven apples. He eats seven apples. What does Johnny have left?"

Answer - Diarrhea obviously.

I'm with you man, WTF is this stuff? My test (a paper test!) wasn't this complicated. At least I don't remember it being so. I was pretty sure there were a lot of questions about how to split up the bar tab so you paid as little as possible. Probably why I selected P-3s...