• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB prep for Navy Reserves OCS

hp2020

Folks,

First of all, thank you for creating this great blog. I am new to this site and still learning about it. I am in the process of applying to Navy Reserves OCS. My background is computer science working for the reputed firm and I want to serve in navy reserves. So I recently appeared for the first ASTB test. I scored 33 1/1/1 which is really bad.

My next ASTB is scheduled for May 26th, I need to get really good scores. My interest leans towards the cyberwarfare program and my recruiter told me that it's very competitive these days, I need to get at least 50 plus in OAR and 6/6/6 in other tests. I am a little stressed and tensed for my 2nd test.

For initial prep, I used Test Prep ASTB-E text book:(Was helpful to some extend)

https://www.ebay.com/i/333592164474...MI1baBrNGs6QIV8Y5bCh2-xQqGEAQYBCABEgKb_fD_BwE

Now I have ordered the Barron Flight Aptitude Test book from Amazon and also referring to the materials posted by one of the members. I wanted to know about your suggestions for the above books if they are good or not? Also, I wanted to know what happens if you failed to get a good score 3 times(i.e. scores under <35 in OAR)? Will my doors will be closed for Navy Reserve OCS for me? What are the other options(opportunities with low scores)?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance.

Thanks,
H P

exNavyOffRec

I can say that for the first time every I was confused by the thread title, then confused a bit more when I read the info in the thread.

I can't wait to hear what your recruiter says, this could be interesting.

hp2020

Thank you @FormerRecruitingGuru and @exNavyOffRec for clarifying my doubt. You are right! The recruiter was confused with my application he forgot that I am applying for Reserves. Now he is insisting me to join Active Duty instead of Reserves. I am not sure if I want to join Active Duty now as I am the age of 30, soon planning to get married and I don't want to lose my civilian career either. Please can you tell me the pros and cons of going Active vs Reserves? Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you @FormerRecruitingGuru and @exNavyOffRec for clarifying my doubt. You are right! The recruiter was confused with my application he forgot that I am applying for Reserves. Now he is insisting me to join Active Duty instead of Reserves. I am not sure if I want to join Active Duty now as I am the age of 30, soon planning to get married and I don't want to lose my civilian career either. Please can you tell me the pros and cons of going Active vs Reserves? Thanks!

There's a ton of resources you can find which go over the pros and cons of reserve versus active duty. Reserve programs require additional requirements which your recruiter can discuss with you.

exNavyOffRec

He probably wants you to go active as he is probably just goaled with active candidates.

or maybe he knows you aren't competitive as a reserve officer candidate? not sure how much your civilian career lines up with a reserve position.