• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB/OAR vs. SAT

nbloom

I'm researching the OAR and trying to figure out a plan of action for myself (my books are coming in). I was just curious, do you guys notice any similarities between the OAR and the SAT? Do you think a 99th percentile SAT would translate into to a top percentile OAR? Do you know anyone who scored very well on the SAT (2300+) but tanked the OAR?

I feel like since it's a measure of aptitude there should be some overlap, but I was curious on what people's thoughts are.

Thanks!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Studying for the ASTB as well. At least from what I've seen so far, the OAR is much different from what I remember the SAT being like. Math is similar but has some more advanced topics (logs and more complex problems), Critical Reading is much more technical than the SAT, and Mechanical comprehension is not on the SAT at all.

That being said, I definitely think there is such a thing as a "good test taker". Whether that comes down to natural ability or good preparation I don't know, but if you scored 2300+ on the SAT and you prepare I think you will be fine.

(At least that's what I'm banking on, but my SAT score was a little lower than yours :p)

I would be curious though if someone has done a study of how SAT scores are correlated with ASTB scores.

exNavyOffRec

I have had a person that graduated with a 4.0 in HS, pretty much aced the SAT's and then ended up with a non qualifying ASTB score, and the OAR was in the 40's

There is probably some correlation but don't take a chance.

nbloom

Oh wow that's a bummer for him. :(

And yeah, I definitely intend on studying hardcore for the test, but I was trying to gauge how much I might need to study. Back in the day, I took two practice tests for the SAT and did well because of my course preparation, but I feel like the OAR is a different story. I guess I'll find out when my books come in and I take some practice ones!

I also just did Navy Chat online and the person told me that I have to take the full ASTB for Intel. I'm hearing different perspectives when I search through the threads on here. If I am applying to SWO, Intel, and Supply, will I need to take anything besides the OAR?

exNavyOffRec

I also just did Navy Chat online and the person told me that I have to take the full ASTB for Intel. I'm hearing different perspectives when I search through the threads on here. If I am applying to SWO, Intel, and Supply, will I need to take anything besides the OAR?

Just the OAR, Navy Chat online is fine if you want to go enlisted, if trying to go officer nope, that is time you can never get back and you could have spent online looking at pictures of Kate Upton.