• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peters1

Quick question, if you are a non-technical major, are you more likely to get a lower score on the ASTB. Obviously you won't be as Math saavy but i mean just in terms of the way the test is scored are you automatically disadvantaged? Any replies are appreciated

erabe07

In all honesty I was suprised at the questions on the ASTB. The test seemed more like a basic knowledge test like the SAT or ACT. The mechanical reasoning was the only portion that a technical major may have an advantage on, but only for a few questions (electrical resistor network, gear problems, etc.), but I guess most of the problems seemed like simple machine problems. Most of the test seemed to gauge if you have a basic understanding of concepts. I am a technical major (Electrical Engineering), and for me it was more difficult to go back and try and remember things I had learned long ago. I did take the test about 8 months ago however, so I don't remember much else. You're not really at a disadvantage as long as you study the practice guides. I thought the ARCO book was fairly helpful, and if you're going for SNA or SNFO definitely be prepared for the spatial apperception section.

Good Luck

Peters1

I actually took it a few years ago. I am a junior in college and i started PLC-Jrs as a freshman with the Aviation contract (SNA).
I think what i am asking is not so much whether or you will have the skills to do well on the test but rather if your scores are automatically helped or impaired by your major simply in terms of the way a certain major factors into their scoring equation. I didn't study for the test at all and i passed it without any problem. I don't think i did incredible but i got enough to get by. 5,6 was my score. I am sure if i had studied i would have done better, especially on the basic avaiation knowledge stuff (i.e. the terms). Basically i am trying to find out now how people with similar scores have done at flight school. I really want to fly but its more important for me to be a marine officer. To that end if i can do a better job somewhere else that would be fine. I want to keep the contract as long as i can do well with it. I just want to know if i should be stressing about flight school basically.
Have you found out about OCS yet?

Kycntryboy

pilot
Your major doesn't factor into the ASTB. They are completely separate entities, I know this because my recruiter graded the thing right in front of me however he gave me a "raw score" and then shipped the answers to another dude to get the "final score", my OAR and and other scores were unaffected, but I have heard of some who grade was changed
icon_smile_question.gif
. hhhmmmm.

Crowbar

None
I think this link will answer your questions about ASTB scores and flight school grades (specifically see pages 51, 52, 70, and 72). But more importantly, if you are a junior in college, enjoy yourself. Take it from a college senior (a 27 yr old senior at that). Go to some football games (when season starts again), skip class, and drink a few beers here and there. Your hardest day in college probably won't compare to your easiest day in the Marine Corps (unless you're some kind of super smart engineering major). Have fun. Good luck!

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Directorates/ASTB%20Overview.pdf

jdtidepride

Does anyone know if you can use a calculator on the ASTB? Also, is the ASTB the first test you take at the officer recruiter center? Thanks for the help!

JD

Peters1

same here thanks for the help crowbar. Believe me i am about the furtherest thing from a nerd engineer major (no offense to any of y'all out there!) as you could get. Frat boy devil dog all the way! By the way how was Srs?

Status
Not open for further replies.