• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Changes?

luckynumbr27

August SNA applicant here with a question about the ASTB.

I took the ASTB about 8 months ago and got 61 and 7/7/8 on my first attempt. Since then, I’ve been helping a buddy who also wants to fly prepare for the ASTB. We put in a lot of work and I was very confident that he was going to murder it since I put him through the exact studying and sim training that I did and he was doing even better on the practice tests and stick tracking exercises than I ever did. Long story short, he took the test today and texted me a pic of his scores and they were down right abysmal. He said the test crashed 5 separate times and the OR had to come in and log back in to the whole test app each time, not sure how much that effected the scores, but the pic he sent me of the final screen looked totally foreign from the test I took. It was on a website called apex.health.mil and looked nothing like what I’d seen before. Also, he said that for the PFAR section of the test, the stick (not throttle) was inverted. He said left and right were normal but to track up, you had to push the stick down. I know for a FACT that this was not the case with the test when I took it so I’ve been preparing him wrong for 3 months now.

So my question is, did they switch the ASTB up big time in the last few months? Has anyone else had problems with tests crashing and are suspicious that it’s vastly effecting their scores? I’d really like to hear from people who have taken in the last few months and see what you’ve been dealing with.

kotn

Took it last month. My test crashed during the uav portion like three times. If anything, I think the test crashing helped me get practice sessions in because the when the OR logged back in, it reset that portion it crashed on.

For me, the stick was inverted the throttle was not. To track up I pulled the stick towards me. To track down, I pushed the stick away from me. The thing that messed me up was during the emergency procedures, the little knobs were inverted.

Have you seen this tool?

luckynumbr27

See from what my buddy said, to go up with both the throttle and the joystick, you had to push the sticks away and to go down you had to pull them back towards you. That’s how my test was for the throttle but the joystick was opposite of that so I set him up wrong from the start. Makes me very suspicious that they changed the test.
And yes, he did run that flight sim a few times but we couldn’t set the sticks up to run it so it was just the keyboard.

exNavyOffRec

See from what my buddy said, to go up with both the throttle and the joystick, you had to push the sticks away and to go down you had to pull them back towards you. That’s how my test was for the throttle but the joystick was opposite of that so I set him up wrong from the start. Makes me very suspicious that they changed the test.
And yes, he did run that flight sim a few times but we couldn’t set the sticks up to run it so it was just the keyboard.
They rarely change the test and when they do they give plenty of notice, and the version number would change. The current versions are 6, 7, and 8. The whole purpose of going to throttle and joystick for the ASTB was to mimic the controls of an aircraft so changing it so pulling it to you would be down doesn't make sense, maybe he just became so flustered he wasn't sure what he was doing?

luckynumbr27

They rarely change the test and when they do they give plenty of notice, and the version number would change. The current versions are 6, 7, and 8. The whole purpose of going to throttle and joystick for the ASTB was to mimic the controls of an aircraft so changing it so pulling it to you would be down doesn't make sense, maybe he just became so flustered he wasn't sure what he was doing?
That’s what my suspicion was but he was adamant that the joystick was totally inverted from what it would be in a cockpit (pull back to go down, push forward to go up). I did literally of hours of work with him on a joystick tracking a home made green icon to get him used to the feeling of it so I’m wondering if maybe the computer messed up or if someone in the office didn’t calibrate something right if that’s even possible.

exNavyOffRec

That’s what my suspicion was but he was adamant that the joystick was totally inverted from what it would be in a cockpit (pull back to go down, push forward to go up). I did literally of hours of work with him on a joystick tracking a home made green icon to get him used to the feeling of it so I’m wondering if maybe the computer messed up or if someone in the office didn’t calibrate something right if that’s even possible.
I used to play (badly) flight simulator games years ago, I don't even know how you would change something like that to be inverted.