• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB and USMC Study Guide question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara b

Hi guys, I'm new to the Forum, very impressive!! I do have a question for all you that have taken the ASTB. I have heard about this USMC study guide and from those of you that have used it and taken the test honestly how much is it like the real test. Hopefully those of you that have used it can give me some much needed insight. Thank you so much!!

-Sara

rob

If its the Arco book, take the time to go through the whole thing, then do it again. Focus on your problem areas, and you should be fine. I took it years ago, but I don't think the test has changed much. It was pretty similar to the arco book. Good Luck

brian-75

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum here although I have been reading it since mid-june. I must say there are a lot of people here who know what they are talking about. Anyways, about the test, I took mine last week and passed with flying colors (one less thing to worry about :) ) and I studied the ARCO Military flight and officer book as well as a book on how to solve algebraic word problems. Well almost everything I studied was not on that test. I only saw a few actual word problems (which I studied for the most) so my advice is to study some algebra, geometry, and word problems. The test was not hard and even though I got 14/30 right on math, the combined score with mechanical portion I got a 31/37 which as a "4" rating i believe, maybe 5 and was told was good. I don't know how they come up with the combined score but was real happy I passed. I hope this helps

-Brian

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sara,

I have heard people trash on the ARCO book, but I personally thought it helped prepare you for the test (all except for the BIO portion that is ). Granted, I didn't exactly "study" or prepare very well for the ASTB. The first time I saw the ARCO book was 15 minutes before the test, another NROTC Midn had one. I borrowed it for those 15 minutes, and looked over the spacial apperception parts, I think that, if anything, that was what truely helped me out the most. Thankfully I did NOT have to retake the test, I scored well on my first shot. But looking back, I think spending time going over the two flight aptitude test books out on the market would be worth the time and $$.

I looked over the other gouge packet floating around out there, and the math/mech info looks right on. If you don't already have it, it would be worth your time to reread some of the posts about it, and email the people that have it, I am sure they would gladly send it to you. It is more a matter of getting used to the types of questions that are going to be thrown at you, than anything else.

In the end, the ASTB is only the first hurdle of many, and for some it is a rough one to overcome (sorry Dave). Best of luck on it, I am sure some of the others on the forum have a "fresher" view on it, I took it close to 3 years ago, and it is pretty much a distant memory!

Brian, congrats on passing the ASTB, and best of luck with your package, glad to hear that the forum has helped you out.

Anyways, hope that info helps out some, welcome to the forum.

Teddy

Hi Sara - I took the ASTB a few months ago and did really well - good enough to be contracted air. I don't know if the Navy test is the same, so this info may only apply to Marines. Priority #1 should be the spacial apperception. Do them until your brain hurts, then do some more. On the test you have to do a lot of them and you have to do them fast. It's weighted most heavily. My only other tip would be on the personality section. Remember that being a Naval Aviator will take guts, dedication, and daring - and they expect (require) that. Be honest, but don't try to look like a book worm. If you're interested in flying, and being a Marine, you probably weren't the kid who hung out at home on Saturday night and didn't have your first beer until you were 25. Be honest.
As far as the study aids go - use them all. Expose yourself to as much as you can - but definately know the Spac App inside and out! Good Luck!

vicki

Welcome to the board. I did pretty well on the ASTB using the ARCO guides to prep with, but I would recommend a brushup on basic algebra in addition. I know I hadn't seen a lot of that stuff since eighth grade. The spacial apperception is not difficult, but it is over 30 questions in 10 minutes, so you need to do them over and over until you don't have to think about it - you can just see it. As for the bio portion, remember - you are a risk-taking, team player who respects authority, but can take care of yourself. You are as American as apple pie and enjoy driving 100 mph, but you always wear your seatbelt. (Calculated risk is the key here, not blind stupidity). Good luck.

brian-75

The Arco book was very helpful for me for the spatial apperception test. In the final test the pictures were drawn differently...they used a T-34C Mentor instead of the plane in the ARCO bookbut that is the only real difference. I scored a perfect on the spatial test and that was due to the book and fligth simulators on a PC. If you get a chance try a flight sim out such as Microsoft Flight Simulator as it can be very helpful in the way a horizon looks when you bank, dive, climb and so on. Also it appears there are 2 versions of the test as well..My recruiter said to be aggressive but careful on the BIO exam so that you can score to be the avaitor type.

Dave Shutter

quote:...the ASTB is only the first hurdle of many, and for some it is a rough one to overcome (sorry Dave)...

Hey John that's life, I'm the one who decided to pay to watch old B/W French films for four years ;)...how's Hawaii?

I quess I should jump in here being the resident ASTB expert having taken it a wopping 4 times!!! The irony there is that having taken the enlisted ASVAB 3 times to get in the Army my Mom joked that I would take the Navy test 4 times, I love it when she jinx's me!

Instead of just re-gurgitaing the very sound advice posted above I'm gonna say to be extra careful on the BIO, there's a lot of talk about being agressive and what not but the bottom line when you take a close look at the questions is that only a handful of what is a large # of questions deals with your personality while the majority of them inquire about your background (the stuff they look for in Officers) such as science/tech courses taken, clubs, work time in school, athletics/awards, school politics and other "well-rounding" types of activities, in short, stuff you really can't (and shouldn't) BS on. And some stuff they probably shouldn't be asking: like where you grew up, how many parents, brother, sisters and stuff like that.

Best of luck, if you have trouble with Math and Mechanics let me know, I'll recommend some other books that helped me out.

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:...how's Hawaii?

As the topic veers off in another direction (as usual)...

Still on leave in Florida, been enjoying the time off with the family and kids, spending time at the beach and pool, and generally decompressing and putting on the lbs that I lost at SERE! Leave for Hawaii in two weeks, looking forward to reporting into my first squadron, albeit as an FNG, but should be lots of fun. Can't wait to fly around Hawaii, I have my camera all set to take some pics, and then post them on here.

Also, got some really amazing changes coming to the website (especially the forum) that I am putting the final touches on, think you guys will like them.

vicki

Hey John,

Will those "amazing changes" include completion of your journal entries?!?

Dave - I think I'm looking at around the middle of September for API, but things change week to week as the pool fluctuates.

Status
Not open for further replies.