• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Reserve Officer

NuSnake

I know this is a Navy forum, but I couldnt find anything else on the web with google searches.

I'm interested in hitting the Army Reserve as a Military Intelligence Officer and was wonder what the training is like for them, length, place, etc. Any help would be great, thanks.

Will

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not too many Army types around here, Im sure there are similar sites for the Army jsut dont know where. good luck

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NuSnake said:
I know this is a Navy forum, but I couldnt find anything else on the web with google searches.

I'm interested in hitting the Army Reserve as a Military Intelligence Officer and was wonder what the training is like for them, length, place, etc. Any help would be great, thanks.

Will
I don't get it. Why would a moderator with 376 posts be asking that question on this board. Doesn't make any sense to me cause you know we don't know sh!t about the army. I think it may be time to turn in your Moderator stripes. John, refund this man his money.

Guards, off with his head!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, been an ass for as long as I can remember. Just ask John, he'll tell you the same. As for the babies, never tasted them...are they any good?

NuSnake

hahaha...nah, they taste too fishey

but for real, I dont really get on here much since being discharged. Been to busy trying to find a job...the job market sucks, stay in the Navy

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Army is so heavily recruiting for Officer candidates right now - If you have a Bachelors from an accredited college/unive and are reasonably fit you can fast track to an aooficer accession program now...basically if you are educated and can breathe, the Army will offer you a shot at a commission....

ip568

None
That's *spit* Army *spit*

Reminds me of my AOCS DI, SSGT William Randolph Shuette :)Rhymes with DO IT!"). When he used the A- word, he'd spit before and after, as in, "You poopies ain't even good enough for the *spit* DOGGIES! *spit*

johnritenour@co

Musings from a Bent Winged Aviator

I had the misfortune to get the "NAMI (pronounced Nammy) Whammy" whilst in the pipeline to be a NFO. Having gone through NROTC, I knew I didn't want to go SWO! I tried applying to the Supply Corps but they weren't taking folks at the time. So I did the smart thing - I turned in my letter of resignation, knowing full well it would be accepted. Sadly for me - it wasn't. They said I was to "valuable" to be released from active duty! Bravo Sierra! I asked to be sent to the 1300 (General Aviation Duty) so I could at least spend my time doing something useful - nope. I got redesignated and sent to Newport Rhode Island to become a - gasp - SWO. Surface Warfare Officer School is a miserable place. I finished in the top 10% of the class without cracking a book - it was a monumental waste of time. One of the instructors found out I was formerly in the aviation community and berated me in front of the class for no other reason than..."You don't belong here!". Sadly for him, the CO was walking by and heard him. He got chewed out for his comments and was forced to write me a written apology for being rude.

My first ship was a disaster. The CO hated anything to do with aviation - especially me. Suffice it to say, he was so biased that my fitness report was thrown out and was reassigned to another ship.

The best advice I can give anyone concerning the SWO community is this. Execute the same maneuver the Enola Gay did when they dropped the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima - execute a 158 degree diving turn and flee the vicinity as quickly as possible. SWO's lack any sense of professionalism and are concerned with looking busy even when they are not.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
NuSnake said:

Will
I briefly considered the Army that this is some of the information I was given. You can become an officer three ways. 1. Enlist right after high school, then apply for OCS through your chain of command. 2. Join ROTC in college. 3. If you don't do 1 or 2, but get a 4yr. degree, you have to enlist in the Army and attend regular Army boot camp (8 or 9 weeks), then directly after your basic boot camp is over, you will go directly to Army OCS (Ft. Benning GA - I'm sure) for 14 weeks. NOW ABOUT INTEL.... from what I was told, it pretty much operates like Marine Corps OCS...... you compete for grades and give a "wish list" of jobs you want and based on where you score in your class, you will have a ??% chance of getting what you want. **** FYI, scuttlebutt has it that some candidates "trade" jobs if they don't get what they want. EX.... I got were to become a infantry officer and a good buddy of mine - GUNG HO TO THE MAX - was selected to be a finance officer, we can switch jobs through our chain of command. And after everyone keeps or trades what they got..... the numbers must match the Army's needs. If there are 15 infantry officers, 2 finance officers, 7 intel, 6 blah...ect... After trades, those numbers must stay the same. But as far as length of the school and where it is located, I don't know. I hope this helps.

OVERCOME

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
NuSnake,

Please accept some humble warnings from an Army officer. If you choose to go the OCS route, there are several pitfalls the recruiter will "forget" to tell you.

You can't get a particular job (MOS) guaranteed prior to attendance at OCS. Furthermore, you won't even find out what you're "branched' until the last couple of weeks. That said, the first few candidates may get to select their first choice(intel, aviation), the rest will most assuredly get "The needs of the Army."

I've seen some incredibly smart and competent guys get fields such as "NBC officer, and Bradley officer" simply because their first choice wasn't available. The Army won't blink an eye when shoving you into something like "Chemical Officer". I guess it's up to you to decide if that gamble is better than being a SWO. If there's anything else I can help with, PM me.

Mike-

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
johnritenour@co said:
I had the misfortune to get the "NAMI (pronounced Nammy) Whammy" whilst in the pipeline to be a NFO. Having gone through NROTC, I knew I didn't want to go SWO! I tried applying to the Supply Corps but they weren't taking folks at the time. So I did the smart thing - I turned in my letter of resignation, knowing full well it would be accepted. Sadly for me - it wasn't. They said I was to "valuable" to be released from active duty! Bravo Sierra! I asked to be sent to the 1300 (General Aviation Duty) so I could at least spend my time doing something useful - nope. I got redesignated and sent to Newport Rhode Island to become a - gasp - SWO. Surface Warfare Officer School is a miserable place. I finished in the top 10% of the class without cracking a book - it was a monumental waste of time. One of the instructors found out I was formerly in the aviation community and berated me in front of the class for no other reason than..."You don't belong here!". Sadly for him, the CO was walking by and heard him. He got chewed out for his comments and was forced to write me a written apology for being rude.

My first ship was a disaster. The CO hated anything to do with aviation - especially me. Suffice it to say, he was so biased that my fitness report was thrown out and was reassigned to another ship.

The best advice I can give anyone concerning the SWO community is this. Execute the same maneuver the Enola Gay did when they dropped the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima - execute a 158 degree diving turn and flee the vicinity as quickly as possible. SWO's lack any sense of professionalism and are concerned with looking busy even when they are not.

Before you warn someone off of SWO based on your experiences you should tell him how long ago that was. Then I will tell him how much the Navy, especially SWO, has changed since then. SWO isn't for me and not many guys you will find on this site. But an experience that is not likely to be repeated in today's Navy is not a good basis for any career decision.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
While we're on the topic, does anyone have any knowledge transferring from the Naval Reserves to the National Guard? I might be in that situation in a few years.