• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

army pilot to navy pilot

evand98466

hey, i have already searched the forum and found a link to what I probably wanted to know but it says the page is down. So, I thought id shoot a few questions out there. I am a cw2 black hawk pilot in the Army im 29 with about 2 years left of my initial commitment and I have been thinking a lot about flying with the Navy. I notice a few users on this forum have both Naval aviator wings and Army aviator wings with their avatars or what ever they are called on the left side of a post. I read that this in fact does happen I'm just having a hard time finding out any details. I have checked the Navy PersComm website but i couldn't find any info that pertained to my situation. Is this something I should just bring to a Navy officer recruiter? Or a different Navy website? Any info that any one has on this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

phrogpilot73

Most of the guys with both on this board went from Navy to Army, not the other way around. Not trying to piss in your Cheerios, but right now the Navy/Marine Corps are eyeballing downsizing... In the 16 years I've been in this gun club, I've met one guy who went from Army WO to USMC commissioned officer.

Obviously, if you don't ask, you'll never know - but just trying to keep you grounded. If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the certainty (flying for the Army).

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
What is it about Naval Aviation you find more appealing than Army Aviation? You obviously have background green-side, what about the Navy appeals to you?

I'm just curious, PM me if you'd like.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
He heard that the Navy is all Choker Whites and Dining Outs.

Ships have showers, clean sheets and hot meals. Not many FOBs have such amenities...

Plus you are far less likely to get shot at than your average Army, USMC, LA County Sheriff Department pilot!!!

exNavyOffRec

hey, i have already searched the forum and found a link to what I probably wanted to know but it says the page is down. So, I thought id shoot a few questions out there. I am a cw2 black hawk pilot in the Army im 29 with about 2 years left of my initial commitment and I have been thinking a lot about flying with the Navy. I notice a few users on this forum have both Naval aviator wings and Army aviator wings with their avatars or what ever they are called on the left side of a post. I read that this in fact does happen I'm just having a hard time finding out any details. I have checked the Navy PersComm website but i couldn't find any info that pertained to my situation. Is this something I should just bring to a Navy officer recruiter? Or a different Navy website? Any info that any one has on this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!
No, do not contact an Officer Recruiter, we are prohibited from working with anyone that is or has been a "O" or "W" paygrade. (this only applies to active genoff programs). NPC is the place to look, basically you need to contact the community manager for aviation, however like what was said we are looking at some cutbacks, and from what I have been told previously is that it isn't going to happen.

evand98466

Most of the guys with both on this board went from Navy to Army, not the other way around. Not trying to piss in your Cheerios, but right now the Navy/Marine Corps are eyeballing downsizing... In the 16 years I've been in this gun club, I've met one guy who went from Army WO to USMC commissioned officer.

Obviously, if you don't ask, you'll never know - but just trying to keep you grounded. If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the certainty (flying for the Army).

Ok, I appreciate the advice :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It does happen, I was going to PM you the details but can't seem to message right now. At any rate, we are soon to have a former Army WO turned Navy checking in soon. When he gets here I'll see if I can get some gouge and pass it along.

evand98466

It does happen, I was going to PM you the details but can't seem to message right now. At any rate, we are soon to have a former Army WO turned Navy checking in soon. When he gets here I'll see if I can get some gouge and pass it along.

Sweet! That would be awesome! Thanks, man!!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The transition from Army to Navy flying can be challenging. I went Navy to Army. Here is a snapshot of what I did:

I flew SH-60Bs in the 80s and 90s. We had no NVGs and flew all our night flights unaided...including landing on the ship. I was a pack kind of guy who broke out probably a little too late. I picked up O-4 in the reserves, then didn't drill and took an eight year break in flying.

I had a well paying software gig when I joined the guard, so I reverted to CW2 so I could fly and not worry about company commander or staff duties.

There was a VERY STEEP learning curve transitioning from the Navy way to the Army way. The flying was easier. Flying with NVGs over land is easier than unaided over the water. However, I had to prove myself all over again. Some prior Navy guys had <sarcasm>"paved the way"</sarcasm> before me, and I was looked at with a critical eye. I had to compete for an AQC slot. That took 1 year of not flying. Then I had to knock off the rust in my flying skills.

After proving myself, I was asked to come on full time, right at the time my software job was in transition. I quit my civilian job to fly full time. Unfortunately I was not laid off. That would have been 3 months of severence pay.

Now I am a full time MTP and ME and I haven't put on CW3 yet.

Why do I think it is important for you to know my background? So you will pay more attention to what follows:

If you are not at the top of your game as a CW2 in the Army, you will face a VERY STEEP learning curve that involves not only a change in culture, but also a higher standard for pilots. You should be tracked by now. If not, you are not on top of your game. I am not saying this is the case, but IF you are leaving the Army for greener pastures in the Navy amd think it will be easier, STOP! The living environment may be nicer and your peers will be more professional (in my opinion), but the standards are higher and it will be MORE work. It will be a challenge.

If you are up to the challenge...go for it!

I do have a little experience with attempting to go the other way (Army to Navy). PM me if you want details.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I've known a few pilots who have gone from Army to Coast Guard, though I imagine the CG is in the same 'boat' as the rest of the branches with their pilots, and you may have a tough time transferring. It's another option you might be willing to consider.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
There was an Army WO turned Ensign who checked into the HT's last summer as an IP. Don't know anything about him beyond that, but I saw physical proof that it's doable. We also had quite a few Coastie IPs who were prior Army.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
back in the late sixties the marines used usaf and us army flight training.
several of the army helo trained guys i know later transitioned to a-4's.
anybody know if any of the army trained guys got into phantoms?