• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army NG Signal Officer to Navy Aviation

JHuff

Hey all,

I've searched and read all the threads I could find on interservice transfers, but my question still has not been concretely answered. To give some background, I and a 2LT in the Army National Guard in the Signal Corps. I received my commission in May of 2011. Signal Corps was not my first choice, however. Army Aviation was. My question is, I've heard of people transferring between services and from aviation of one branch to aviation in another, but is it possible to go from National Guard non-aviation to Active Duty Naval Aviation? Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I've been studying and plan to within the next couple of weeks. Thanks!

JHuff

Quick update: I'm taking the ASTB on Wednesday of this week. Is there anyone that can chime in and point me in the right direction as to who to call to find out some information on this?

jtmedli

pilot
Quick update: I'm taking the ASTB on Wednesday of this week. Is there anyone that can chime in and point me in the right direction as to who to call to find out some information on this?

Google is your friend. Marine Gouge has some good stuff. The barrons (?) book is great but you dont really have time to order it off of amazon.

JHuff

Google is your friend. Marine Gouge has some good stuff. The barrons (?) book is great but you dont really have time to order it off of amazon.

Hey man, I hope I didn't confuse you. If what I said didn't make sense, I'm sorry. What I was asking was if anyone had any information on who to call about the IST from Guard non-AV to Navy AV. I've heard of some guys going Active-Active or Reserve[Guard]-Reserve, but not Guard-Active and furthermore not from non-AV to AV. I've been studying for the ASTB since about September using the ARCO, Barron's, atrickpay's guide, Marine gouge, pretty much any information I could get my hands on. I read the policy letter about commissioned officers transferring into the Navy, but like I said it doesn't say anything about going Guard-Active.

jtmedli

pilot
Hey man, I hope I didn't confuse you. If what I said didn't make sense, I'm sorry. What I was asking was if anyone had any information on who to call about the IST from Guard non-AV to Navy AV. I've heard of some guys going Active-Active or Reserve[Guard]-Reserve, but not Guard-Active and furthermore not from non-AV to AV. I've been studying for the ASTB since about September using the ARCO, Barron's, atrickpay's guide, Marine gouge, pretty much any information I could get my hands on. I read the policy letter about commissioned officers transferring into the Navy, but like I said it doesn't say anything about going Guard-Active.

Oh ok. I see. Sorry for the confusion.

JHuff

Hey Everyone, I'm hoping someone on the recruiting side of life can give me some insight. Here's what I got from NPC-

"Per the two instructions provided, Interservice transfers go from reserve to reserve or active to active to another branch of service, they do not allow for a transfer from reserve to active or active to reserve to another branch of service. If you are interested in an interservice transfer into the Navy Reserve, contact PS1 Hanlon cc'd in this email. If you are interested in a direct appointment for active duty Navy you would coordinate this with your local recruiter as a new appointment, not an interservice transfer."
This came from PERS-831. I went to a local recruiter and told him this and he basically said "OK, you're just standard applicant as an Other Service Veteran. I spoke with some people and was told by an Aviation O-5 that since I was already an officer that I wouldn't
do OCS. It was my understanding that I would submit an application and, if accepted, would receive flight school orders instead of OCS orders. Today I got a call from my recruiter saying that "officers from other branches are ineligible for the AOCS program" (paraphrased). This was basically his cue to bow out, because he kept telling me that it doesn't look good and that it doesn't appear to be possible to do what I'm wanting to do, which is go from an Army National Guard officer to a AD Naval Aviator. I also got this correspondence from another reputable source:
"So far this is what I've found out

1) You would need to do a reserve IST into a USNR community
2) You would need to lateral transfer from within that USNR community to general aviation reservist
3) You would need to augment from general aviation reservist to active component

The first two steps are all on the reserve side and here are the hurdles I see...
1) A USNR community would have to use an IST quota on you with the knowledge that you are only using their community as a gateway
2) The Naval Aviation Reserve community would need to pull you in despite you not having any aviation experience - are general aviation reservists are typically folks who can no longer fly for a variety of reasons."

I was told that if I can overcome those two obstacles that I might be able to get pulled in as an INDEF RECALL. My questions to the experts is: I found on MILPERMAN 1300-082 it says:

"Requests from Navy Activities for a specific officer will be sent to the following

Navy Personnel Command
ATTN: PERS-803
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-8010

Requests must be fully justified, showing that the transfer is in the best interest of the Navy, and include a statement, signed by the officer concerned, consenting
to the transfer."
Is it possible to have someone in the AV community request to have me specifically pulled in? I know this has to be possible, can someone please try to give me a solid answer on what I need to do in order to get into Naval Aviation? Sorry for the novel, just trying to be 100% transparent.

exNavyOffRec

What the recruiter said is correct, a person that is commissioned cannot apply for a program that goes to OCS you have to do a IST, I myself found all this out when I had a person come to me that was in a similar situation.

What I learned from the reserve recruiters which may not be 100% accurate but I am sure the reservist here can give more guidance is that to go into USNR aviation you have to have some type of military aviation experience.

JHuff

That's the thing, I don't want USNR, my ultimate goal is to be on AD in aviation. Since I'm still so early in my career, I can't transfer to AD Army then apply for IST to Navy. Is it possible to go from USNR into AD? Do you have to go from aviation to aviation, or can you go from another community to aviation? If it helps, on or about 1 FEB I've been told I might get put into the IRR. Does that change my situation at all?

exNavyOffRec

as far as I know it is only aviation to aviation for IST, IRR doesn't make a difference, once commissioned you cannot go into a pipeline that has you go to OCS which leads to IST for those who are previously commissioned.

JHuff

Thanks for the replies. Do you, or somebody on this forum, know what I need to do to ultimately be AD aviation? Like I said, however improbable, it has to be possible.

exNavyOffRec

your best bet is to see if one of the instructor pilots on here or one of those that was recently through flight school knows of a person that did what you want to do, but it would have to be via an IST and from everything I have seen and heard has to be aviation to aviation, after that I don't know about getting from reserve to active.

JHuff

I know you can go Active to Active or Reserve to Reserve. I also know you don't have to be in Aviation to IST into Naval Aviation because there's a guy on here that went Army Field Artillery and is now NFO. I have confirmation from PERS that I can't IST from Reserve to Active and all the recruiters in my area are either telling me that it can't happen because officers of other branches are ineligible for AOCS or that I'm putting in an OCS packet and if approved would go to OCS. Hopefully a Reservist can let me know, though. Obviously I've been told that I can get an Officer Recall to go from USNR to USN, but do I have to be in USNR Aviation or can I redesignate with the recall? So far, doing an IST into USNR makes the most sense especially if I can redesignate with a recall. Next question is- would I go to ODS if an IST is approved? Thanks again for the replies everyone!!

JHuff

Thing is, he was active Army. We spoke on the phone and he said he could help me with an active duty IST packet, but since I was Guard that he wasn't sure how to do it. Seems like everyone I talk to gives me a different answer. Once I figure out 100% what to do I will definitely make it happen. Problem is getting to that point. :/

exNavyOffRec

Have you contacted the OCM for aviation? If they say yes it is possible then they should know how, if they say nope, then no matter what anyone else says I am pretty sure it isn't going to happen.