• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army National Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullatina

A recruiter is trying to get me to join the guard, however he says they cant guarantee avaition, but states "there is a great probability" I'd get avaition after OCS. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Supposedly he says he can guarantee me OCS after basic, then towards the end of OCS I would declare my specialty. For me its either avaition or I'm not interested. I just cant see myself being a tank commander or infantry officer. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Hudson

The Army can not and will not guarntee aviation as a regular officer. They send you to BAsic training and then you go to OCS and while you are there they decide what your specialty is. If you want to go aviation try going warrent officer. That is what most of the pilots are anyways.

WFU2USN

Paul,

With the Army National Guard...wouldn't you go through basic and then do OCS on the weekends? Or are you trying for the straight through route - BCT and then OCS?

I don't think training is guaranteed
banghead_125.gif
, but you might want to see that if you gain your commission in the NG, you might be able to go active as a commissioned officer in the Navy in aviation...just a thought!!

Or, if at the end of OCS, you don't like what they offer you, can you still back out?

Good luck!

Robin

Hudson

In the Army the warent officers pilots just fly. I think that is all they do. You will never be in charge of a division or do the things that flag officers do. Lunchins with Generals and stuff. So the fun of flying without all of the fuss or hoops of being a officer. I think.
Hudson

paullatina

Robin: That is kinda lurking in the back of my mind: The possibility of being a commissioned officer in the NG, then after I full my 8 yr obligation, transferring over to the Navy. They have 2 paths to becoming an officer: 1. 9 weeks of basic then 14 months of OCS (on the weekends only) or 9 weeks of basic then 8 weeks of OCS (straight through)

My only hesitation is that there is no guarantee to get avaition. I'd prefer to become an officer rather than a warrant officer due to the fact more doors of opportunity would be opne for me if I decide to transfer to a different branch of service.

Do you know if its possible to take the AFAST test before committing? I told the NG recruiter what my Navy application looked like (PRT, ASTB score, letters of rec, etc.) and he almost fell out on the PRT scores (which arent really that great). I think he's trying to make it all sound a little too easy. Have you talked to anyone in the NG? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave Shutter

I looked into WOFT when I was in the Army and it might be a better option for you if your serious about Army aviation. It's basically AOCS (which we no longer have) for Army pilots at Ft. Rucker Al. If I recall it's about 12 weeks of military and leadership training with aviation academics after which you go right into Primary across the street: all helicopter training. I was in the same boat as you, looking into the commissioned side of it, but didn't like the idea of doing Boot camp + OCS and then not being guaranteed a "chance" at aviation. A "chance" is really all anyone can give you, a lot happens in training. As for humping a pack through the countryside and getting tossed around the inside of a "Turtle"...been there, done that, no thanks!

As for WO responsibilities, I never met any while I was in, but I met one at my college. A WO5 with a PHD, so obviuously getting a commission was an option for him!!! His story: 35 years in the Army and he DID NOTHING BUT FLY! Try doing that with a commission, you better make a lot of friends! Sure, WO's may not get the same base pay as commissioned guys but what do you think his flight pay was like after 30 years!? He had just retired from active duty and still flew reserves.

The framed picture on his wall: Him landing a BLACKHAWK (not Seahawk) full of SEAL's on the tail of a DDG!

paullatina

So whats AOCS? What would be the training pipeline for someone like myself who has no military or flight experience? By going WO instead of commissioned, would that guarantee me a spot in flight school before I commit? Thanks for your help!

WFU2USN

Hi Paul,

AOCS was Aviation Officer Candidate School, which the Navy used to have - now everyone goes to the same OCS and then to flight training or whatever they came in for.

Back to the National Guard...as long as you're qualified it's fairly easy to get into their OCS program. With WOFT, yes, I think that they do guarantee aviation, unlike the OCS option - you'd need to talk to an Army Reserve or National Guard recruiter.

For the Navy the typical flight path is: (ANYONE CORRECT ANY ERRORS PLEASE! :)) OCS - 13 weeks, than API, Primary, and Advanced Schools. Take a look at the headings for each on the forum for more info.

Good luck!

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.